✅ SOLVED Please help identify this obsidian artifact!

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1847.jpg IMG_1844.jpg IMG_1842.jpg IMG_1843.jpg

My uncle found this conically shaped obsidian core while gardening in his backyard in Rancho Palos Verdes California. (L.A. county) near the coast. He had no idea what it was. the area where he unearthed it was at the bottom of a steep slope. He said that he has found other flakes of obsidian in the soil.

I think it is a core that was used for knapping straight, uniform flakes. It fits the description because it has a well defined flat base - a perfect platform for flaking long blades.

From my knowledge (which is limited) obsidian isn't naturally occurring in California. Which narrows it down to two possibilities. either it was left over by a flintknapping hobbyist, or it is an artifact that was brought in from far away in ancient times.

If there are any flintknapping experts out there, I would be grateful to hear your ideas!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE! It looks like a core that knock flakes off of to work, I have several but NONE are obsidian. I am moving this thread to our Indian Artifact forum for more expert opinions.

Welcome to TreasureNet too!

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of places in California where obsidian occurs. This has the look of silver sheen obsidian that could have come from California or even from Mexico.
Not around L.A. area, however.

This is a blade core, and has all the appearances of being modern made.
The thing to look for would be to examine the other types of flakes and knapping discards being found.
My guess is that you will notice a variety of rock that doesn't occur in the area and has been transported in from a variety of sources for the use of modern knapping.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very obsidious cool find

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would a modern knapper produce a bunch of core struck blades? No reason I can think of, other than to make a neat polyhedral core. Since he didn't take the core, I vote Indian core. Gary

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks ToddsPoint. I agree. another sign is the fact that the core is very short, and probably over - worked to the height it is now to utilize as much of the stone as possible. (may be a sign of depletion of knappable rock) you would think that a modern knapper would have better access to knappable rock, and would have moved on to a new core when his got shorter

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of places in California where obsidian occurs. This has the look of silver sheen obsidian that could have come from California or even from Mexico.
Not around L.A. area, however.

This is a blade core, and has all the appearances of being modern made.
The thing to look for would be to examine the other types of flakes and knapping discards being found.
My guess is that you will notice a variety of rock that doesn't occur in the area and has been transported in from a variety of sources for the use of modern knapping.

Thanks for the input "Plug N Play"!
Yeah.. I think I recall my uncle saying that he found flakes, but don't know what he did with them. I do have doubts that it is ancient, but we are hoping that it is in-fact an artifact. Because that would be awesome.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
why do you doubt? that would be helpful

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool display/conversation piece. Have you tried to shine a flashlight through it? I'd be curious to know if it's translucent at that thickness.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool core, I have found dozens and dozens like yours over the years.

In your pictures you can see an “onion skin” patina that is absolutely correct for old obsidian. It can be faked, but not likely to be faked. It’s similar to the haze that old glass bottles get.

Is it from LA County originally? It’s not typical of the cores I’ve seen in California (biface cores more than conical), but it could be. That style was much more common in Mexico and Central America. The big site of Teotihuacan in Central Mexico was so powerful because they controlled the obsidian mines and bladelet production by mass producing and trading bladelets off cores like that.

Here are a few of mine.

890EA079-5E67-4252-916E-8002F8530ECF.jpeg

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats quite a collection!

Interesting.. it didn't occur to me to think of the patina. would be a good indicator of age.

And yes, it is from LA county originally. It was unearthed accidentally in my uncles backyard.

If this is more common in Mexico and central america, is it possible that the entire core was shipped via trade from a foreign obsidian mine?

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats quite a collection!

Interesting.. it didn't occur to me to think of the patina. would be a good indicator of age.

And yes, it is from LA county originally. It was unearthed accidentally in my uncles backyard.

If this is more common in Mexico and central america, is it possible that the entire core was shipped via trade from a foreign obsidian mine?

More than possible it was traded all over the west .The Coso obsidian site is out in the Mojave I think and there's one south of you near present day Mexico .

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thanks to all who contributed! I now know a lot of valuable information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread