Decent find at work today.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have the concrete contract on a new Arby’s coming to town. They had hauled in some black dirt and graded a green area a while back. I found this 3 inch piece on the surface this morning. It’s bijuo hills quartzite, That comes from about 150 miles west of here. The flaking while hard to see is parallel. I Wish it were all there.
EA7C824D-61AC-48D1-A5AE-0032F4417E56.jpeg D3032825-F716-4018-B1B5-D26B79A2F6F6.jpeg
F4D4850F-CC1C-4841-90D2-2595F4B34FAE.jpeg 71FB651A-EE68-44E9-8689-EBC42400CE3B.jpeg

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yowzers, that would've been a killer, whatever it may have been. Any guess on type?

Where did that black dirt come from? Can't be too far away!

Yeah, it may be worth finding out where they hauled that load from.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's hard to beat those finds especially at work.Congrats

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Nice find, considering how hard that material is to flake it’s pretty well made.

We don’t find many artifacts made of it in my region mainly because better materials were available. However when we do find an artifact made of it it’s generally in the form of a knife or a piece made into an expedient cutting tool.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding artifacts at work while getting paid. That's a good find. Could be more in that dirt.

I used to to find a lot of pieces and new sites back when I installed satellite systems in the late 80's. We went to the middle of nowhere most times because they couldn't get cable. Picked up some nice pieces in those years.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find! :icon_thumleft:

With the wide triangle cross-section and the parallel flaking , it looks like a possible Eden.

Last edited:
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice find, considering how hard that material is to flake it’s pretty well made.

We don’t find many artifacts made of it in my region mainly because better materials were available. However when we do find an artifact made of it it’s generally in the form of a knife or a piece made into an expedient cutting tool.

Interesting it made it that far west. For as hard as the material is to work, it sure holds an edge well. This still has very sharp edges and tip. I’ve found several pieces in this area, mostly the items you described. I do have a couple larger knives made from it though.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Interesting it made it that far west. For as hard as the material is to work, it sure holds an edge well. This still has very sharp edges and tip. I’ve found several pieces in this area, mostly the items you described. I do have a couple larger knives made from it though.

That is a fact; it does hold an edge well and is very durable.

There are sizable outcrops of Bijou Hills Quartzite in Keya Paha County, Nebraska which is to the north of me. The large 7 inch biface in the below image was knapped about ten years ago by Bob Patton from a piece of Bijou Hills I picked up in Keya Paha County. The smaller, darker piece is a knife I found locally.

Attachments

• BijouHillsQuartzite 2.jpg
    BijouHillsQuartzite 2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 50

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread