Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s not like I can talk to people in my regular life about this stuff. My wife only knows a little of it. Am I supposed to find stuff like this and just swallow it inside. I’m just letting off some steam. I think I’m going to bring it all to the museum when I get a chance, but it’s only open about 4 hours a week. If they laugh, they laugh.

You know, it's really simple, when you come right down to it.

One, you are not stupid.

Two, we have vastly more experience with Native American artifacts then you do. That is a fact. Hundreds of years of combined experience. I myself have roughly 60 years experience handling artifacts from southern New England, the very region you live in.

Three. You are not showing us any actual artifacts. I speak, I humbly submit, for every experienced artifact hunter, digger, and collector on this forum when I tell you that. You are not showing us any artifacts.

Is it really such a bad thing to simply admit you do not know as much as we do, you do not have anywhere near the experience many of us have, and it is entirely possible you actually have a lot to learn before you do have sufficient experience recognizing artifacts? Is it really so hard to admit that a person needs be a student before he or she can be a teacher?

Look, suppose you needed to have heart surgery. And suppose the decision as to who would perform the surgery was in my hands. And suppose I told you I was going to pick one of two people: the top heart surgeon at Massachusetts General, or the first person I bumped into in the Boston subway. Who would you ask me to chose, and why? Which of those two people is likely to have the experience you would hope for, since your life would be on the line?

Go back to point number one. You are not stupid. As such, you should be able to acknowledge experience and knowledge is on our side, not yours, you are the student, not the teacher, we are the heart surgeons, and you are the guy sleeping on the subway. We don't wish to mock you. You don't have to keep it all inside you. You let it out. And we rendered the verdict. You are not showing us any artifacts.

And you know what? We are as good in knowing this as any member of the museum staff you will run into at the Robbins. You think the museum will be the experts you need, and we are the chopped liver of the hobby? You be wrong.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, it's really simple, when you come right down to it.

One, you are not stupid.

Two, we have vastly more experience with Native American artifacts then you do. That is a fact. Hundreds of years of combined experience. I myself have roughly 60 years experience handling artifacts from southern New England, the very region you live in.

Three. You are not showing us any actual artifacts. I speak, I humbly submit, for every experienced artifact hunter, digger, and collector on this forum when I tell you that. You are not showing us any artifacts.

Is it really such a bad thing to simply admit you do not know as much as we do, you do not have anywhere near the experience many of us have, and it is entirely possible you actually have a lot to learn before you do have sufficient experience recognizing artifacts? Is it really so hard to admit that a person needs be a student before he or she can be a teacher?

Look, suppose you needed to have heart surgery. And suppose the decision as to who would perform the surgery was in my hands. And suppose I told you I was going to pick one of two people: the top heart surgeon at Massachusetts General, or the first person I bumped into in the Boston subway. Who would you ask me to chose, and why? Which of those two people is likely to have the experience you would hope for, since your life would be on the line?

Go back to point number one. You are not stupid. As such, you should be able to acknowledge experience and knowledge is on our side, not yours, you are the student, not the teacher, we are the heart surgeons, and you are the guy sleeping on the subway. We don't wish to mock you. You don't have to keep it all inside you. You let it out. And we rendered the verdict. You are not showing us any artifacts.

And you know what? We are as good in knowing this as any member of the museum staff you will run into at the Robbins. You think the museum will be the experts you need, and we are the chopped liver of the hobby? You be wrong.

Very well said.

I have 53 years of collecting experience and so far nothing I have seen you post is an artifact.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl is right on about museums. Not withstanding some of the renouned museums most have almost no useful artifact knowledge. The local museum here in Brevard County has a huge display on the wall. All are repo's & look like the same knapper made them all. They assumed they were ancient. They do have real items from the Windover Site but it is in its own room, no stone at all and was set up by Florida State University. The local curator is not very knowledgeable about stone artifacts as she has had mimimal experience with them.

OP
OP
F

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charl, I could probably grow a better lawn than you but would not try to learn you on much else. I am looking forward to learning what they have on the Nipmuc tribe, as I recently read their range extended to the Andover area where I’m at, and up into southern New Hampshire. I’m sure the real story is fascinating.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a big part of the problem on this forum is the "facts" you can find on the internet. You can google just about any cockamamie theory and find some yahoo that will substantiate it with a host of "proof".

As for myself, I too have about 53 years of experience all, PNW and Great Basin. Even so I would never call myself an expert, but I do have more actual knowledge and experience than most.

OP
OP
F

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be a geo-fact finder but at least I’m one of the best.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be a geo-fact finder but at least I’m one of the best.

Fred I found many geo facts that I thought were artifacts when I first started. So many things seem like they should be something.
You have a good attitude. I was lucky at around 6 I was taken hunting in a corn field and found my first arrowheads. I still have them.
I follow the flint flakes or dig in sites that I know they might have used. I use google today as many of my best places disappear.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fred I found many geo facts that I thought were artifacts when I first started. So many things seem like they should be something.
You have a good attitude. I was lucky at around 6 I was taken hunting in a corn field and found my first arrowheads. I still have them.
I follow the flint flakes or dig in sites that I know they might have used. I use google today as many of my best places disappear.[/QUOTE

we ALL did that, i still have some triangle rocks, shaman stones, pestles, rocks with holes, odd fractures, you name it...all in my rock garden. Once you get it straight the not artifacts scream "NO" just as loud as the real ones scream "YES".

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I follow the flint flakes or dig in sites that I know they might have used. I use google today as many of my best places disappear.[/QUOTE

we ALL did that, i still have some triangle rocks, shaman stones, pestles, rocks with holes, odd fractures, you name it...all in my rock garden. Once you get it straight the not artifacts scream "NO" just as loud as the real ones scream "YES".

And with that advice from Unclemac we lay these rocks to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread