Large stone figure found in Montana. Native American?

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180718_063345.jpg 20180715_163800.jpg This is a strange one. I found this on my new place near Roundup and it's huge and old as you can tell by the moss. It's about 3' tall and must weigh 300 or so pounds. It's made of natural sandstone and has distinct Mayan features. If it was carved by a whiteman he definitely had access to pictures of South American finds. There is no natural surroundings to attach to it I think it was hauled here. There is a new (sort of) shallow drill hole in the side and was obviously on it's back for a long time. Natural moss on the face and heavy on the right. Has anyone heard of local Indians carving stone like this?

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like there is spilled dried concrete all around the sculpture in the first pic..........

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I dug out a place for it by my path. Fresh dirt. 20180715_172837.jpg

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm. In my opinion, it doesn't look Mayan at all. It looks like someone recently with a hammer and chisel got busy on a block of sandstone. It appears to be sitting in the debris from chipping away at it. However long it takes for the lichens to grow on stone, is how long ago it was carved. It's still pretty cool, I doubt it's Native. Note the square mouth. I didn't see anything like that on N.A. stone carvings. Could have been done by some Hippie in the late 60's or 70's.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about native artifacts but that is an incredibly amazing find. I hope people here are able to provide more info about it. That would be so cool if it's a genuine piece that came from MT.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naturally eroded stone. Sorry. :laughing7:

Seriously though, I’m guessing that it was made by someone of European descent.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this picture it looks like Shemp from the three stooges. :laughing7:

shemp2.jpg

shempie.jpg

Attachments

• shemp.jpg
    shemp.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No chips I just set it up there. Doesn't have chisel marks someone smoothed it out very well and no grinder marks. A stoned hippie is possible but a lot of work for one of them.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I know left eye closed in a repeated theme.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny that Doubter said that it looks like Shemp. I noticed the part in the middle of the hair too and thought of that Honus Wagner baseball card. Perhaps this was made in the late 1800s, early 1900s, when that hairstyle was popular... "Hey Dad, Happy Birthday!! I made this rock look like you!!" Thank you Wendell! I love it!"

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe but you would need to know symbolism and not just some random line. The whole thing tells a story. It's the foot for one, which means your on a path. That's is just one thing on it. The eyes ,the bird and all the other features have meaning. This is not the place to learn this. I'm just here to guide the op to the place where he can learn. Anyone of you could do the same. Please no BSers. This is a serious study and its not easy.

Bird?? There's a bird?

BWB, to put it in terms that I hope don't get me banned, you see things in a much different way than most. What most recognize as pareidolia, you see as... well I'm not really sure what you believe you see.

In my opinion your take on things regarding these topics is off base most of the time. I personally find your posts confusing, misleading, and wrong-headed.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm also entitled to mine. Cheers.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, I have told you to keep it out of the artifact forum, you want to talk to a member via pm have at it, keep all reference to any so called Jesuit lore out of the artifact forum PERIOD!

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've pretty much come to the conclusion this rather goofy rock was made by one of the early miners around here. It does have small chisel marks on it and seems to be made out of the soft sandstone of the area. There was a lot of coal mining here in the early to the mid part of the 1900's and I surmise things got boring before the rise of the internet and social media. Anyway thanks for the input and if I find out any concrete information on it I'll surly let you know.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard telling who carved it, but it would have to take at least sixty to eighty years for lichen to grow on it. But if it is moss, it doesn't take that long for it to appear. maybe three or four years in a shaded area. That sure is an interesting find! :thumbsup: Like you suggested, Maybe a miner worked it a while back?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember reading about a couple of rocks like this. One a face, the other a large arrowhead. They were placed outside trading posts in the old west. Just a wild guess. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions