Unidentified Projectile Points

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the TreasureNet forum and a relative beginner in the identification of Native American artifacts. I recently purchased a collection of ~50 points and other stone artifacts and have had A LOT of fun researching each point to determine its type and origin. Needless to say this isn’t an exact science, which has made it even more fun!

With that said, I’ve hit the proverbial wall on a few points and was hoping you could help me. My guess is that they are a fairly common point type, but I have been unable to identify them through the typical beginner channels (i.e. Overstreet guide, ProjectilePoints.net, etc.).

I have attached a picture of what I believe to be similar points, except for one is made from quartz (and fairly transparent). I don’t have any background information on where the points were found. I purchased the collection from a family in Tennessee and they mentioned it belonged to a now deceased family member that once lived in Florida.

unidentified-points-07-22-2018.jpg

Thanks ahead of time for any insight you can provide!

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the crowd. If I had to guess on your points, I'd say Benton. In addition to the shape, the material looks more like something you'd find in Tennessee than Florida. Remember though, this is coming from someone stuck in between in Georgia, so what do I know!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the TreasureNet forum...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Tennessee for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

metal_detector.gif
2nd - Here are few informative articles talking about Indian Arrowhead Identification...

Projectile Points Arrowhead Identification Guide

We currently have over 1,700 unique points listed...

Official Overstreet Indian Arrowhead Identification Online Database

Showcases over 60,000 photographs - all of which have been included in the Indian Arrowheads Identification...

How to Identify Arrowheads

Native Americans designed many different arrowheads – about 1,200 types are on record...

OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks sandchip! I hope you don't mind me picking your brain, but what about the material makes you think it would be from TN instead of FL? I'm still trying to learn the various material types.

Thanks for the welcome vpnavy and Hawks (and for the information)! I've been using the Overstreet book, but it looks like I should have been using their website.

Is there a good source of information for other Native American stone artifacts (non-arrowheads)?

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Buzzard Roost Creek is what popped into my mind, but I think they are just a flavor of Benton point (as Sandchip named them.)

The quartz piece could be from either TN or FL, but the other two look like TN or Northern Alabama material to me.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the crowd. If I had to guess on your points, I'd say Benton. In addition to the shape, the material looks more like something you'd find in Tennessee than Florida. Remember though, this is coming from someone stuck in between in Georgia, so what do I know!
I agree with Sandchip. Not Florida material.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The tip of the one on the right looks much like this piece I found in northeast Texas. I think mine was a work-in-progress, or possibly a knife. 448.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread