✅ SOLVED Nutting Stone?

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the TreasureNet forum and a relative beginner in the identification of Native American artifacts. I recently purchased a collection of ~50 points and other stone artifacts and have had A LOT of fun trying to research each item. I'm hoping some of the experts on this forum could help me identify a few items in the days ahead (you've already been a great help with a few arrowheads I couldn't make sense of).

Here's one of the items from the collection. I think it may be a nutting stone, but would love the opinion of the forum participants on what it may be (and the approximate value if truly Native American).

A couple of things that stood out to me is that the hole is cut (or grinded) back at an angle, similar to the motion of grinding and twisting in a backwards motion. Also the bottom of the stone is worn very smooth and rounded, but the bottom center has a flattened part chipped out.

Any thoughts?

unidentified-stone-07-23-2018C.jpg

unidentified-stone-07-23-2018B.jpg

unidentified-stone-07-23-2018A.jpg

unidentified-stone-07-23-2018D.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh, I was hoping for a different answer, but the truth hurts sometimes!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one very similar. I'll throw it on if I can find it. Figured it was natural, but I kept it since it looks like a bedpan!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"nutting stones" are 99% EBAY nonsense.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Arkansas we had a late archaic or woodland culture or phase that ate a lot of nuts and box turtles too as I recall. My camera’s broke or I’d send pics of some nutting stones. Typically they are maybe 4” or so in dia, flattish, and the ‘hole’ is worn smooth

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have one I found in PA. It is so icky, I still have it sitting outside from when I found it two years ago! It's about 5 pounds and was also used as a hammerstone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread