Stone Pipe?

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the TreasureNet forum and a relative beginner in the identification of Native American artifacts. I recently purchased a collection of ~50 points and other stone artifacts and have had A LOT of fun trying to research each item. I'm hoping some of the experts on this forum could help me identify a few items in the days ahead (you've already been a great help with a few arrowheads I couldn't make sense of).

Here's one of the items from the collection. I think it may be a stone pipe, but would love the opinion of the forum participants on what it may be (and the approximate value if truly Native American). I don't have any interest in selling any of the items, but do like to catalog items as best as I can for my family in case they ever want to sell stuff after I'm gone.

Any thoughts?

unidentified-object-07-23-2018A.jpg

unidentified-object-07-23-2018B.jpg

unidentified-object-07-23-2018C.jpg

unidentified-object-07-23-2018D.jpg

unidentified-object-07-23-2018E.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Joshua, any guess on how recent and possible value? I haven't found a good source for researching stone pipes.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Modern, I’d say made in the last 30 years or so. It looks like it’s styled after a Hopewell pipe, but the material, bowl is incorrect and the platform pipe is too thick. The value would be pretty low, really just what someone would be willing to pay for a piece of art. ($20?)

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Patina in the grooves is lighter than on thee body. Small hole is lighter as well. I would guess modern. Pipes are the #1 faked artifact for NA items.

OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the insight! I definitely don't want to display any fakes in my collection.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
look at like this....anyone that took the time to shape, drill and polish any stone implement....would not have scratched crude lines imperfect on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread