Check Out My FIRST DRILL

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys wife let me head to the corn forest today after work, when i got there they had chopped down the corn, there was corn everywhere. i was about to turn around when i said to myself, why not give it a shot.well it turned out to be a good day. found my first drill in entering the field, then the 2 others later.also check out my buddies celt, what could the line be.it goes all the way around. thanks
ert.jpg

SSPX0023.jpg

SSPX0026.jpg

Upvote 0

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
nice finds!!Maybe the celt was in the making and the line is a preform guide for the groove.Interesting though.Killer piece too!!HH

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
i forgot to ask.That little side notch point on the left looks like the broken tip might have been reworked into a scraper too.Hard to tell from the pic though.HH

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
cool stuff- that white point has a classic impact fracture. The line in the celt could be natural- like a vein of slightly different rock or different hardness..

P

pickaway

Nice finds trevma could be just a decoration line on that celt if so id guess it would make it rarer type.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
trevmma said:
hey guys wife let me head to the corn forest today after work, when i got there they had chopped down the corn, there was corn everywhere. i was about to turn around when i said to myself, why not give it a shot.well it turned out to be a good day. found my first drill in entering the field, then the 2 others later.also check out my buddies celt, what could the line be.it goes all the way around. thanks
ert.jpg

SSPX0023.jpg

SSPX0026.jpg
Super finds Trev,That would have been a dandy drill! Nice looking celt too. I,m not sure about the line,maybe an old plow mark,but a really nice find. Jeff p. s. Below,Ilovedrills!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 253
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 256
OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep it has a impact fracture on the other side, well im heading off to flint ridge for the first time.

P

pickaway

Flint ridge? sheet man your going to drive right by where i been huntin i should be out there this morning but 1 to many natty lites kept me in the sack,going out tommorow, enjoy the park.

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is another celt with the same line all the way around it, but higher towards the poll in midwest artifacts by lar hothem, not the best midwest. they say it was maybe a groove lead, his is not a plow mark though

A

Atlantis0077

Excellent stuff!!

That is a killer drill....they are hard to come by here, especially completely intact. If I were to venture a guess on the line around the celt I would agree with another opinion...its a natural strata in the stone....I find arrowheads with such lines across them...sometimes the line is translucent when the rest of the piece is opaque. I would imagine the stone had a natural "layer" through it that when the piece was crafted just appears as a line around it....IMO.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread