Books or Websites for Non-Arrowhead Artifacts?

OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Grim and Charl! I am interested in getting some of the Lar Hothem books, but haven't found many that are reasonably priced. I guess they are out of print and the used book sellers know they are in demand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have about 5 or 6 of Lars books, bought them a long time ago.... They are good books.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Grim and Charl! I am interested in getting some of the Lar Hothem books, but haven't found many that are reasonably priced. I guess they are out of print and the used book sellers know they are in demand.

Since Lar passed several years ago his books have really increased in price. I too have several of his books.

OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know of anyone that would be willing to sell theirs for a good price, please let me know. My guess is that some of the more experienced collectors may not use them anymore.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a website with the focus on Georgia, but it would still be valid for the type of non-projectile point artifacts you could find in your own neck of the woods...

http://www.peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.org/index.php/artifact-identification
The same person who is the Peach State webmaster has a book called The Native American Tool Box, which is inexpensive and a good book about tools, Paper back. I think it is at amazon, I got my copyat one of the Peach State shows. Lloyd E Schroder author

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suggestions on the books as I have several. The best ones to actually learn your specific area would be from Thomas Lewis and Kneberg Lewis " The prehistory of the Chickamauga Basin in Tennessee". Its from Knoxville press and available on Amazon. The study is from about 60 miles from you. Been a lot of updates since these books but this was a massive archeological excavation funded by TVA before they flooded the area. It is specifically for this areas cultures and the who what when and where. It will use the phrase Dallas period (Mississipan period) Due to large villages dug from that time frame specifically the Dallas Island site which I know very well.
Tribes that slumber is another good book to learn the area. Stone tools are fairly easy to identify online.
Google " Duck River Cache" that was found 20 miles from you. So you are in a good area. The books will teach you who's stuff you are finding google earth will tell you where to hunt.
Jamey a member here is from your town. I spent my summers growing up on Stones River.
Good luck!

OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TN-Mountains! I grew up on the Duck River (Halls Mill) and probably walked over a lot of good stuff. I didn't know any better!

It would be great to go out hunting with someone to learn what to look for. I'll try to message Jamey to see if he'd like to hang out with a rookie for a couple of hours.

OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dognose, I'm looking for good resources on axes, scrapers, etc. Things that are a bit easier to collect.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dognose, I'm looking for good resources on axes, scrapers, etc. Things that are a bit easier to collect.

They are very easy to collect yet very hard to find. All accept thumb scrappers once you recognize those from flake debitage age you will find many.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread