WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I live on a 40 acre farm in Ohio. My friends own 10 acres next to me. They have found a NA point and a maul, which I posted on here last year. I get overly excited when I find possible NA artifacts so I have gotten into the practice of setting aside stones/rocks that I think might be something. After a few days, I'll look again to see if I still feel the same about it or if I realize it's just a rock. Well I found this one on Friday. Looked at it after a couple days, and was still excited. I set it back down just in case I'm exaggerating. Then, tonight, Mr. WD asks, "Where did I see that rock you found? It looks like a tool." Game on, I have to post it and see what you experts think!

We also just had a friend over and he looked at it and thinks we just might have something.

DSCN6189.JPG

DSCN6190.JPG

DSCN6195.JPG

DSCN6194.JPG

DSCN6193.JPG

DSCN6192.JPG

DSCN6191.JPG

So... What do you think?

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gave us plenty of pictures of the "grooves", and overall pics, but I'd like to see pictures of the big end from different angles before I would hazard an opinion. Is the big end ground to a sharp edge? Also, are the ridges and grooves on both sides or just one? The one edge profile of the grooved area looks a bit thin for any kind of chopping tool.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grooves are formed by natural erosion. A softer part of the stone erodes faster than the hard dark bands which makes the grooves. Not seeing any evidence of that ever being altered or used by man.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As do I, nothing on stone shows being worked by man, looks like natural erosion.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I hate to, but I agree with most of the guys. Keep eyes to the ground.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread