Help Identifying Places to Search

jeramme

Nov 11, 2010
MN
Hi all,

I have been to this site numerous times, but have yet to find any artifacts. It is a creek that drains into the Mississippi river, and is close to known habitation sites. I understand that the creek may have changed course over the years, but wouldn't there be artifacts washed in from surrounding areas. Also, should I be looking in the creek bed itself, or would I have better luck searching the banks? I appreciate your insight and advice!

Attachments

• Creek Pic Use.jpg
    Creek Pic Use.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Creek Pic Use 2.jpg
    Creek Pic Use 2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, if they're there, they can be anywhere... but I would look where rocks congregate (like the rocks in the first photo, not the mud/sand in the second.) Generally speaking, most activity would have been in the general vicinity of where the creek meets the river... but again... if they're there, they can be anywhere.

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience with creek hunting, look in the bends and on the edges of flat shoals or areas where the current is less. I also dig and sift, usually in pockets where debris has settled. You're basically dealing with tumbling rocks-even though they have been altered- so look where you find rocks. It takes a very trained eye to recognize anomalies among rocks, and the points and tools aren't always lying flat and exposed. Sometimes, just a tip or edge is showing and can be difficult to spot. That's why I like to use some sort of sifter in creeks, if the rocks are small enough to be shoveled. A sifting shovel works great, too. Good luck!

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you can get down to the ancient ground where they were deposited you should be good. Problem being near Mississippi River is that that Ancient ground may be below many feet of silt deposited by the river, so as long as you are in an area that isnt all river silt, and has some gravel to it, you should be in a good area to search..
Good Luck

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a creek walker, I like best of all this type of hunting you just never know what you will find. I'm on the trail of an ice age bison at this time and have narrowed it down to where his bones are coming from. Like it was said look where the rocks pile up, but I would get back from the mouth of the creek because as water is flowing into another river or creek it causes a slow down in the water flow and most heavy items will drop out. I would start down by the mouth but work my way up stream. When you walk over a gravel bar turn around and go over it again, this will give you a different view of the rocks. I walk creeks that have less gravel and more clay bottoms. Good Luck and post your finds

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I see a lot of silt and sediment in those pictures, might be tougher than normal in that kind of river.

I’ve always had better luck in clear rocky bottom creeks than in slower, silty water. My guess is relics are eroding out of the creek and then covered in silt. They might move a bit, but that type of situation isn’t as dynamic as fast moving shallow creeks.

I’d look at the banks to see what’s coming out, occasionally you’ll get lucky and see one eroding out. I’d look at deeper cuts where faster water has carved a channel into the silt. Check out the bends where the silt has been moved. And I’d find a plowed ground near the creek/river intersection and get permission to walk after it rains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread