Old Incised Great Plains Painted Pottery Jar

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Members,

Many of us are already aware of the problem of a lack of documentation of pottery of the Great Plains tribes including the Cheyenne. And, as many were nomadic people, pottery was probably not very useful due to the fragile nature of it . When the tribes moved to a new location in search of say buffalo, the pottery could simply break so it is rarely found today. And only as a matter of conjecture, most of any of the pottery would have been made for a special use.
The lack of documentation on the pottery of these people led me to make comparisons of the complex nature of the artwork of the present example to other disciplines of textile art of of the Great Plains tribes. For example, the blackened green stripes around the jar, can also be found in some parfleches. Below is such an example with a blackened green stripe on a Sioux parfleche as can similarly seen in blackened green bands of the jar
And, also as a matter of conjecture, the complex nature of the artwork would have been done in keeping with a complex and great Native Society

Cheyenne Warring Societies theme

The pottery of the Great Plains tribes was typically made from a lump of clay, rather than the coil method as had been used by other tribes. One can see that the interior was “scooped” out from the “lump” in the Great Plains manner, with possibly some influence showing in the shape as might have been learned from Mexican neighbors of the Cheyenne to the south

The complex geometric motif implementing the number 4 in the pattern with fine blackish lines is commonly found in the decorative arts of the Great Plains tribes
The value of the jar comes by a literal interpretation on all of the symbolism employed in the design arrangement- The military theme would be of a military nation origin, one that was concerned with maintaining balance with power in unity of its segments of people used to protect a life of harmony within its borders, a great Native American spiritual goal of the military unit

Symbolism:
The choice of geometric shapes, triangles and stripes and colors, in the repeating pattern, six sets in all shows a great deal of symbolism for interpretation in the context of a warring theme of a great Native American nation organized as a military unit with the central theme of maintaining balance and harmony for its people

The ceremonial jar was painted in both war paint colors, and in a color that was used to convey a message of harmony

The war paints yellow, orange and deep red with only traces of red remaining on the smaller stripes show ones willingness to fight fiercely till death in battle. Black is symbolic of strength and power but it can also mean victory as face paint rather than war paint
A Native American belief held that the wearer of triangles and stripes when drawn in war paints would have supernatural powers bestowed upon them in battle.

The greenish tone color of the neatly laid out borders to the north, south and between each set conveys a message of harmony with the power to maintain it as signified by the black tones

The 4 larger and smaller triangles, point in all directions. The number 4 also denotes completeness in all of the directions, having 8 in all would compound the strength in symbolism

The repeating pattern of sets forms a well drawn circle, each set represents 1 of the warrior societies of the Cheyenne Nation, such as the Dog Soldiers, and all segments were made exactly the same to show none were above or to be treated differently from the others. The six societies together complete the circle signifying unity among them in the struggle to maintain balance and harmony

H: approximately 7 1/2"

Condition: much of the burnishing has worn away, paint losses, slight cracking

Thank you for your comments

Kind regards

Kevin

012518-1.jpg
082018-a.jpg
082018-b.jpg
082018-c.jpg
082018-d.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a whole different discipline in the greater scope of “treasure hunting”! I had to check this post out because I am also Kevin D.!:hello: Great post,and INFORMATION is what a lot of guys,pottery collectors, coin hunters,jewelry hunters and rock hounds alike,want! It makes us better at our respective branches of treasure hunting,and INFORMATION is always valued!
BTW....that’s a pretty cool little vessel! Did you find it?

OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gary
Thank you for asking
This one came from a 2nd hand shop in Ohio, last year. The owner of the shop who is still in business specializes in house clean outs and estate sales. He had a few other native finds for sale at the time. this one quickly drew my interest and I purchased it right away.
Unfortunately, the shop when asked did not have a record for me on which clean out or estate sale that it came from, and it may have sat on a shelf for a long time before I purchased it

Best,

Kevin

OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kevin D
Pleased to meet you! And, thank you for your post. I am glad to be on this site. Always, willing to share what I have from research, rather than give opinions I shared some info in the reply below to Gary on where it comes from
Best Kevin

Btw my full name is Kevin Donnelley

OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your post
Best,

Kevin

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet jar. Great information too. Thanks for sharing. I have a few pieces of Native American pottery. I don't know too much about it though.

OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing
I’m always interested in at least a look
Best

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Dear Members,

And only as a matter of conjecture, most of any of the pottery would have been made for a special use.

And, also as a matter of conjecture, the complex nature of the artwork would have been done in keeping with a complex and great Native Society.

The “ceremonial jar” was painted in both war paint colors, and in a color that was used to convey a message of harmony.

Interesting.

So to go along with some of the conjecture I am assuming you can suggest the approximate age of this (Cheyenne) “ceremonial jar”?

OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I appreciate your comment, thank you. I'm glad you find the topic interesting. The general surface wear and paint losses appear to be consistent with a mid-19th C dating

Best,

Kevin

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Interesting information, but it ignores that almost all Plains Indian groups used pottery extensively. The use changed in the waning years of freedom, but use at winter camps is documented.

Yes pottery breaks, but it’s cheap to make if you camp near a river can get clay.

Here are some broken shards from the Dakotas. These pieces were huge, you could have fit basketballs through the rims.

FCC673D9-EAFA-4E99-90E6-E03FE46E78E5.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I am glad that you find the information provided interesting, thank you for your post.

I believe that compared to the farming tribes, those who lived a nomadic lifestyle had a limited source for clay, and as you had pointed out, tribes located by riverbeds may have been able to find a source in them, depending on location. Overall, however, the nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes produced very little or no pottery at all as far as can be documented for some such as the Cheyenne of their nomadic, rather earlier farming era. Plains pottery that was produced in the nomadic period had not survived to the extent as we see of another type of item that was used for storage, the vibrant and well developed parfleches with their geometric and sometimes incised highlighting, such as what the present example shows.

Best,
Kevin

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Kevin,

Why do you believe this piece of pottery to be related to the Cheyenne? That type of narrow olla is a lot more typical of Southwest/Pueblo groups, or even Mexican tourist pieces. It certainly looks to have some age, but not sure I get the connection to the Cheyenne that you are making. There is some redware out there, but a lot of it is the more common black/grey pottery.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but back to the pottery use. I did my undergrad in anthropology at the University of Montana, and spent a lot of time looking at pot shards from different collections and surveys around the state. It exists.

Woodland groups (river bottom farmers, or fur trappers) got the horse and were pushed out onto the plains at some point. They became semi-nomadic, coming back to camps every year. You can find pottery and storage jars there, quite similar to Mandan materials. Pottery is not common on most buffalo kill sites, but it does exist on longer term camp sites. Later on the lack of pottery is probably due to trade goods. Kettles, pots and even tin cans & bottles replaced a lot of the ceramics in the late 1800's, and were certainly more portable and less fragile. (One of the Cheyenne leaders was named Black Kettle.) By the time the reservation period came about, trade goods or salvaged garbage in many cases did replace skilled artistic production.

Joshua

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joshua, thank you for asking
There is a great deal of empirical evidence available for a comparison that would support a clear Great Plains origin claim as documented in their textiles. Specifically, the design features of this example with the incised highlights of the geometric pattern consisting of triangles, border stripes, and smaller stripes can also be found in their parfleches. The evidence of a Great Plains origin continues with the colors chosen for the striped borders, black over green as was similarly shown of the Sioux parfleche example.

The paint choices combined with the choices of geometric shapes give this a militaristic theme, one that would have been inappropriate for say an Acoma piece. The Plains tribes were also highly organized complex military nations unlike their neighbors of the the Southwest.

So while the shape of the jar may remind us both of wares produced in the Southwest, the design elements match with what we see in textile art of the Great Plains and go beyond the elements of shape alone.
the Cheyenne Warring theme section above gives further information on how a literal interpretation of the design elements, including , six equal parts consisting of warring symbols which are joined together in a circle connect this tribe in particular with the jar

I also want to thank you for the interesting points you raised re the use of pottery of some of the different tribes, and the changes that came about by the influence of the trade goods
Best,

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While a further point re production of pottery by the nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes of the Plains as a whole might be made as the commonly held belief maintains- that these tribes produced little or no pottery, see quick reference link below, trade among the tribes was common. Conceivably, however, a tribe that had camped near a large enough clay deposit and with the ability to mine it, may have provided pottery in trade deals to other tribes. And, by repute as unskilled potters, the craft was not practiced or developed by the nomadic to semi nomadic tribes to the extent as it was in the Southwest, as evidenced by the many many ornate, well built historic examples of those tribes such as the Acoma Pueblo that exist today.
The elaborate decorative patterning of the early 20th century Pueblo olla shown in the second link below, stands in contrast with a different appeal than the almost stark or minimalist appearance by comparison of the present example.

https://native-american-indian-fact...cts/Native-American-Indian-Pottery-Facts.html

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/34835524_large-acoma-pueblo-pottery-polychrome

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a further note, the vibrant ledger art drawings of the captured Plains warriors from the 19th century have been another source for comparison w/ the patterning of the jar. Both exhibit straight line geometric shape construction as can similarly be found in the parfleches already demonstrated. further comparisons are made both in their dominant color choices for their art in the 19th century as well as the manner in which the images were constructed with the use of outlines of the colored patterns.
As can also be seen in the present example, these art ledgers are known to hold a great deal of symbolism in their depictions of a warrior history. They were frequently drawn or painted w/ water colors using very similar color choices that we have here such as black, orange, yellow and sometimes black shading over colors such as with green as found in the border stripes of the jar and the above Sioux parfleche. The colors were frequently marked with outlines, and in this example however, the thin outlines were incised into the clay.
More on the topic of ledger art is provided in the link

https://stillogahpah.wordpress.com/2017/10/19/native-american-ledger-art/

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. In SW OK, pretty much any pottery we found belonged to Plains Village Farmers, pre-Columbus. They were probably the people known as the Wichitas today. You couldn't tie anything directly to Kiowas, Commanches, or Cheyennes. Probably because by the time those tribes moved into that area they were no longer making clay pottery, as they had contact with european traders. The Kiowas probably weren't making much clay pottery at all by the mid 1830's. At the Cutthroat Gap Massacre in 1832, the Osages put the cut of heads of their Kiowa victims in brass buckets that were in the camp, not clay pots. Northern tribes probably continued making pottery and knapping flint until much later, until they finally had more contact with European traders maybe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread