Bead found - not native, but can you help?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I found this bead in my creek and was wondering your thoughts? It’s not native, but I don’t know where else to post it (sorry if there is a bead section, lol, I didn’t see it).

Thoughts on its age?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535061172.571657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535061183.918216.jpg

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks fancy. Maybe made in Venice and fancy glass. An old glass bead could easily have been owned by an Indian. Wish I knew more. Gary

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gary. I really wish I knew more about it because it looks handmade to me.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Interesting bead. The wavy glass makes me think it looks modern, but blue beads were wildly popular with Native American groups in the 1700-1900's and they were imported from lots of places. (Italy, what is today the Czech Republic, China, India, etc.)

The hole looks drilled and chipped, which is a sign the bead was manually drilled (or at least held while drilled.) It's not a pontil off a bottle, but like one on a bottle it shows that it likely predates some of the modern stuff.

Spend some time on google images, you might find a match. For example, google Huron Indian Blue Bead and you'll see a lot of examples of known blue trade beads.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have purchased a "set" of the most common types of 16th to 18th century beads. Your bead is quite round, form the looks of it, the earlier ones were much cruder and many were oblong. I'd place it mid 19th century. By then glassmaking came into its own - finally.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was browsing google images and like Joshuaream said there was many Huron beads that looked similar ..... what’s the story on it did you find it in a field ?

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I’m going to do more google searches. I found it in a creek around Philly that produces artifacts. It’s a really neat looking bead, and the only description I can really give is, it’s glass, and the hole on one side has an appearance of being man made because it’s not perfectly round. See first photo (I used a flashlight to possibly enhance the images a bit for you all).

Joshua - I think you are right about the hole being drilled manually. I looked closer inside and it doesn’t have markings from what I can see of it being manually drilled, BUT it does at the very top (see first photo).

Smokey - great idea in buying the set. It’s definitely round and doesn’t seem off- shape at all.

Here are more images as well.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535323003.175203.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535323022.409461.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535323058.077439.jpg

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn’t realize how spherical it is from first pictures. That’s a strange one, almost looks like a glass marble that has been drilled.

It does have that appearance, but when you hold it, you can tell it’s not as spherical as a marble. But it’s very close. This one is going to be a tough one to figure out.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is actually super unlikely that the hole was drilled. beads, for quite a long time, were made around a wire or wooden stick with a buffer (sometimes clay) between the wire and glass. Still usually made in a similar way today. If I am remembering correctly even roman beads were made this way?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find.Congrats

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is actually super unlikely that the hole was drilled. beads, for quite a long time, were made around a wire or wooden stick with a buffer (sometimes clay) between the wire and glass. Still usually made in a similar way today. If I am remembering correctly even roman beads were made this way?

I’ll have to do some extreme googling lol. Or else it’ll remain a mystery of its origin forever.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll have to do some extreme googling lol. Or else it’ll remain a mystery of its origin forever.

the fact that it was found in a creek and isn't etched all over leads me to believe its not terribly old. 19th to 20th century? but weirder things happen so who knows.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the fact that it was found in a creek and isn't etched all over leads me to believe its not terribly old. 19th to 20th century? but weirder things happen so who knows.

I agree. I think at this point I just have a cool looking bead

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have purchased a "set" of the most common types of 16th to 18th century beads. Your bead is quite round, form the looks of it, the earlier ones were much cruder and many were oblong. I'd place it mid 19th century. By then glassmaking came into its own - finally.

So keep in mind this is really only true for american and later european history. The romans and some other ancient cultures had an very advanced knowledge of glass, in fact they made a few things that people struggled to replicate until very recently in our time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread