Found a nice little quartz point this morning

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I decided to take my kayak south this morning and visit a place I hadn't been to for a bit. Found a nice little quartz point in the water and a heartbreaker base of some sort. The latter is some nice material that I rarely see and has been skillfully worked. I have no idea what the type would be. Found on the Northern Neck of Virginia on the Rappahannock river.

az9.JPG

az10.JPG

az12.JPG

az14.JPG

az13.JPG

az11.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you calling the quartz one? I know the people around your area find some called Halifax but idk if thats it arrow will know for sure I bet. Nice banded material might be Jasper and would of been a killer and could of been use as a scraper.

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH, MAH GERD! That material is jasper and it comes from Front Royal! I know because I've been to one of the locals where the material is exposed on a hill side and I have a few pieces in my garage. 8-) It is possible the piece of jasper was recovered from the Potomac river as a cobblestone. I've found pieces of blue/green quartzite at my favorite spot on the river and was told that due to its scarcity, it was likely washed down from the mountains. Awesome find Shorewalker!

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OH, MAH GERD! That material is jasper and it comes from Front Royal! I know because I've been to one of the locals where the material is exposed on a hill side and I have a few pieces in my garage. 8-) It is possible the piece of jasper was recovered from the Potomac river as a cobblestone. I've found pieces of blue/green quartzite at my favorite spot on the river and was told that due to its scarcity, it was likely washed down from the mountains. Awesome find Shorewalker!

I've only got one complete point made from this material. Front Royal is quite a distance. It's possible that it was carried from there. Thanks for the info. This jasper sure is pretty. I was disappointed to see that the point was broken. Well...it gives me hope that some more of those are around. That blue/green quartzite must be something to see!

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What are you calling the quartz one? I know the people around your area find some called Halifax but idk if thats it arrow will know for sure I bet. Nice banded material might be Jasper and would of been a killer and could of been use as a scraper.

I think you might be correct on Halifax. Hopefully arrow will chime in on that. I have found quite a number of similar but I'm pretty awful on typing. Yes, that jasper is nice and the workmanship is first-rate.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great finds.look like a fun day.:icon_thumright:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , I think you guys are spot on with the Halifax call . That one sure is a heartbreaker I have a lot of jasper points but none with the anything like that cool design .... almost has a petrified wood look to it

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome point! Looks like you found a lot of stuff!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have many scrapers that have the same shape as your jasper piece. They often show cross section at the blunt end, but it doesn't mean they're broken, just made that way. Are you sure it isn't just a nice thumb scraper, rather then a broken point?

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have many scrapers that have the same shape as your jasper piece. They often show cross section at the blunt end, but it doesn't mean they're broken, just made that way. Are you sure it isn't just a nice thumb scraper, rather then a broken point?

Could be. Here is a picture of the end (break). It just looks snapped off to me - much like a broken point.

az15.JPG

this is not a great shot but shows shape/thickness

az16.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread