rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a place I call quartz creek today owner has 500 acres but no hunting permitted so its my go to spot when hunting season is in. I have found a few points but not a whole lot and 1 nice Pole Celt. The rock out there isnt what I would call a spot where they would stay for a long time due to the quality of it being on the bad side. Not much flint not much good quartz and a lot of sediment stone like shale and sandstone types. But after finding this big hunk of Soapstone that is drilled Im thinking maybe someone stayed there for a long time. Its quite heavy so Im sure it wasnt a Pendant so it might be a Cooking Stone for boiling? If there is any other ideas I welcome it cause Id like to know, rock.
N GA surface find with owners permission.

Attachments

• SDC13277.JPG
    SDC13277.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • SDC13280.JPG
    SDC13280.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • SDC13279.JPG
    SDC13279.JPG
    735.9 KB · Views: 114
  • SDC13281.JPG
    SDC13281.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the curvature and smoother finish on the inside, it looks like it was originally a bowl which was broken at some point and the pieces used for other things, in this case, probably a cooking stone as you mentioned. Danged nice find, Rock.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. There's always potential in finding more in the area. Good Luck!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the curvature and smoother finish on the inside, it looks like it was originally a bowl which was broken at some point and the pieces used for other things, in this case, probably a cooking stone as you mentioned. Danged nice find, Rock.

Thanks it looked just like the other rocks I really dont know why I even bent over to pick it up something must of caught my eye.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going rock. I have yet to find anything drilled. That is a great find.

Ive found broken pieces of slate but they are always broken at the hole.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find , would have been a neat bowl originally

I would adventure to assume it might of broke during the making of it by all of the crevices in the stone and then they just decided to use it for the cooking process. I had to carry the darn thing all day to big to put in my pouch and to fragile to put in my pocket. I would guess it was a strong bowl when finished but after being in the elements for 4500 yrs it tends to get brittle I have learned from other finds of soapstone, thanks

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. There's always potential in finding more in the area. Good Luck!

I thought the same thing and that must be why my back hurts so much today. I checked further up along the edges and further down from the location for hours. All the rocks were the same color so it took a long time and Im so tall I had to bend over. Id like to find a whole one and know a guy who has a couple complete bowls.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How ya doing Rock. I just got through reading about soapstone bowls and i saw an example of a broken soapstone bowl that was drilled so they could piece it back together using cordage. This might not be the case with your piece but i thought id throw it out there. If i can find the link i will send it your way.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How ya doing Rock. I just got through reading about soapstone bowls and i saw an example of a broken soapstone bowl that was drilled so they could piece it back together using cordage. This might not be the case with your piece but i thought id throw it out there. If i can find the link i will send it your way.

Here it is in this case they are reffered to as mend holes.
archaic_soapstone_bowls4.jpg

Google pecksplacepublishing mendholes soapstone.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have come a long ways in your learning friend. Its amazing on what you can learn by reading and of course the finding helps to.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have come a long ways in your learning friend. Its amazing on what you can learn by reading and of course the finding helps to.

Thank you Rock for the kind words and coming from you even better.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock have enjoyed you knocking things off of your bucket list. If you are like me your list is long. Congrats.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock have enjoyed you knocking things off of your bucket list. If you are like me your list is long. Congrats.

Thanks it was a nice find in a area where I have found some points all quartz except 1 Copena black flint. If it wasnt for the bear out there I would adventure on the hills and look around more. Maybe this winter if its cold enough for the bear to be in a good sleep. I think I have someone who will go with me I hope I can out run him if I need to ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread