Gaming stone

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a gaming stone I found a few years ago. I had someone a few months back wanting me to post pics of it, and just now got around to it. Not sure if it's possible to identify the Indians that had this or not, but it was found in Southwest Virginia. I found this right inside a 1700's fort where I was digging signals with my detector. I have something just like this but about the size of my hand, much bigger, but not sure if that's Indian. It's like a super oversized version of this one. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• gamingstone1.jpg
    gamingstone1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 105
  • gamingstone2.jpg
    gamingstone2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It does look like a late prehistoric/historic discoidal. There are several types of discoidals, some are so elaborate and finely polished that they are stunning works of art. Yours is the plain style, which is by far the most common style.

In historic times the game was called Chunkey. If you google Chunkey Discoidal you’ll get lots of details.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does look like a late prehistoric/historic discoidal. There are several types of discoidals, some are so elaborate and finely polished that they are stunning works of art. Yours is the plain style, which is by far the most common style.

In historic times the game was called Chunkey. If you google Chunkey Discoidal you’ll get lots of details.

Thanks for the info and I did google that and there are some really nice ones, especially those with the convex on each side. Mine is plain and even common I still like it I would love to find one of the more elaborate and polished ones. The game is intersting too. If only this could talk the stories it could tell, like all the relics we find.:)

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a nice site on gaming stones that tells a lot of information. Mine fits in the biscuit style and said they can be two to over four inches. That huge stone I found that looks just like this may be another. I'll have to get a photo, but it looks exactly the same, about four or five inch diameter, and much thicker. Just like a giant biscuit though. Here's the link: http://peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.org/index.php/22-game-stones

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice example of a stone disc.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few examples I've found on Ft Ancient sites in my area. All of them are stone except top row, second from the left. It is Pottery. These are to small to be Chunkey Stones and there are several theories of their use from Pot Lids, Game Stones, and Loom Whorls(ones with a center hole).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    783.3 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    756.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    746.3 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a few examples I've found on Ft Ancient sites in my area. All of them are stone except top row, second from the left. It is Pottery. These are to small to be Chunkey Stones and there are several theories of their use from Pot Lids, Game Stones, and Loom Whorls(ones with a center hole).
Wow!! Thanks for posting those you have been very fortunate to find so many. They are really quite interesting relics. I have what I think is another one, but super huge and soon as I find it I will post it up and get everyone's opinion on that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread