buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About fourteen years ago while out looking for artifacts amongst the sagebrush flats a B-1 bomber flew over me and scared the you know what out of me. I didn't even hear it coming, and I swear it was less than hundred feet off the ground. I later noticed that the planes were conducting daily training flights through the area. After going out in the general area I always saw at least one or two fly-by's.

Ive witnessed that at multiple airshows.... it is so impressive it blows the mind... gotta figure you had a small taste of what the enemy would get on that low level attack run. you literally dont hear them coming and BOOM!!!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years I've come across two mt.Lyons here. Both times I was alone.Both times I watched more whats in back of me,than whats in front.And I never leave home w/o packing...ever :)

If a mountain lion decided that it wanted you, unfortunately I’d have to put my money on the mountain lion, unless you carry your weapon in your hand with a chambered round or carry a revolver and even then, it’d be closer to even money but I’d still put my money on the cat, unless of course you wear a suit of armor when you hunt. I say that not as any slight towards you. You were wise checking behind you. Cats are the apex predator, eerily silent, and attack from behind, so when you finally do hear them, it’s the sound of their teeth sinking into your neck. In some areas where tigers are a potential threat, the locals have tried wearing rear-facing masks on the backs of their heads to try and trick any tigers that are lurking. You’re very fortunate to have seen mountain lions in the wild. Big cats are awesome (bobcats too). I’d love to see one in the wild.

Y’all have some good stories. The wildest things that I’ve seen while hunting are my two sons... seriously. If you get them near a creek, they’ll scare away any wildlife. You don’t even have to worry about mosquitoes.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was detecting around some old strip pits and was stopped for a few sitting on the side of a mound when I heard something running towards me, it didn't sound large, just fast... the grass was about 3' tall through there, then I heard heavy panting as it got closer. It was a rabbit hauling a$$ as fast as it could go...I thought that was weird and in just another minute the same thing happened but a different rabbit.

Maybe 15-20 seconds later here comes a bobcat chasing the rabbits. I Barely heard him...I didn't move and since it was fall turkey season I was in full advantage camo...the bobcat ran past me about 15' and skidded to a stop, looked around and ran around to the back side of the mound I was sitting on and proceeded to crawl around the side of the mound stalking me...when he first went around the mound I pulled out my .45 thinking he was gonna get aggressive... he did..he did a tuck and roll move under a small cedar tree coming up looking around and crouched to jump. I stood up then and he took off.

That was the only time I've ever had a bobcat do that... I've had them and coyotes attack my decoys but never looked like they saw me...I don't think he saw me either til I stood up. I think he just smelled a different scent as close as he was when he ran by me chasing the rabbits.

That Gator Is Huge!

Kace

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really like these stories! I've never had anything strange happen while looking for artifacts but have while just hiking and enjoying the woods. My suggestion is to get a concealed weapons permit and carry at all times. I have been for years and have never had to once even think about using it. Still it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! A small 380 takes no room but with quality ammo would deter most critters. If I knew big stuff was around a 45 would be better. Seriously people have become the biggest threat now days. Crazy world.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...My suggestion is to get a concealed weapons permit and carry at all times. I have been for years and have never had to once even think about using it. Still it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! A small .380 takes no room but with quality ammo would deter most critters. If I knew big stuff was around a .45 would be better. Seriously people have become the biggest threat now days. Crazy world.

Sage advice. The only thing that I would add is for any gun owner to join the NRA if they haven't already. There are human predators in high places who seek to strip you of all your God given rights. If our right to bear arms fails, the rest will fall quickly behind. History is the best teacher, for those who bother to take heed.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the early 1970's when I was about 13 years old, I went looking for arrowheads in a field about a mile from my house, and had my constant companion, mutt dog, named "Sloopy" with me. We were looking for points on a nice site that was planted, in what was then 6 foot tall corn. We had only been there about 10 minutes, and were walking down a row in the middle of the field when Sloopy's ears lifted up and he took off out of my line of sight, which was less than 10 feet in any direction due to the tall corn. I didn't think much of it and kept my head down looking for arrowheads. Probably 30 seconds later I heard something coming quickly thru the corn in front of me. I looked up just in time to see a large buck appear full steam in my row 5 feet away and about to barrel me over. I only had a split second to flinch into a turtle postion and duck. To my amazement the buck did not touch me, and to this day I don't know if he went to my left, right, or over my head. About 10 seconds later Sloopy showed up with a look on his face like, "what was that, and where did it go?".

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting points with my 2 dogs in a remote area in southern Colorado. My dogs were way ahead of me. I think they woke this mountain lion up. About 40 feet in front of me this large cat is having a stand of with me. I froze and tried to look big. After about 2 hours(actually 20 seconds) it took off. It would have easily ripped me to shreds. I don’t know if it heard my dogs coming back or decided I wasn’t worth the trouble. I was lucky that day.
Another time my 3 year old son and I were crossing a valley around my town a mountain slinks across the valley maybe 150 yards in front of us. We turned around and decided it was not a good day for that hike. Someone in town caught one on their critter cam and we have warnings put up around town about the dangers. My sons are brave but they need to bring bear spray on their hikes alone around here. I think I would rather run into a lion than a pit bull those dogs scare me like no other, I was mauled by one when I was small, lots of stitches!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only experience not to long ago was when I was on my knees popping a plug in some thick brush and when I looked back in the plug a 3ft Speckle King snake was looking eye to eye with me less then a foot away. I use to catch them all the time as a kid so I wasn’t startled which surprised me, but he just looked at me like ****ole and moved on. Beautiful snake here in Louisiana.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
Really awesome stories guys! Very interesting! Hopefully there are more.
If you guys ever have any future encounters, please post them of this thread.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About fourteen years ago while out looking for artifacts amongst the sagebrush flats a B-1 bomber flew over me and scared the you know what out of me. I didn't even hear it coming, and I swear it was less than hundred feet off the ground. I later noticed that the planes were conducting daily training flights through the area. After going out in the general area I always saw at least one or two fly-by's.
Haha! I've had that happen to me more than once! They practice flying with their engines off at very low altitude. I'm pretty sure they get enjoyment out of scaring the crap out of people, when it happened to me once, I swear they were so low I could see them laughing!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen wolves out where I hunt, but if they see me they will immediately run from me. (They get hunted here....) The coolest was I had my head down, moving really really slowly, and had an extra curious calf elk come with in 15 yards of me, trying to see what I was doing....

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only experience not to long ago was when I was on my knees popping a plug in some thick brush and when I looked back in the plug a 3ft Speckle King snake was looking eye to eye with me less then a foot away. I use to catch them all the time as a kid so I wasn’t startled which surprised me, but he just looked at me like ****ole and moved on. Beautiful snake here in Louisiana.

Had several of those as pets over the years. They are beautiful, and usually pretty docile..

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had several of those as pets over the years. They are beautiful, and usually pretty docile..

Best snake in the world. I grew up on a dead end street with a field and a canal at the end. At 12 we were catching water moccasins and copperheads and took pride in snatching them by the back off their heads never getting bit. Alligator snapping turtles that wouldn’t even fit in a big ice cooler. But the speckle king snake was special I every kid have one at least one time in their life. Very very friendly snake. Those were the days.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best snake in the world. I grew up on a dead end street with a field and a canal at the end. At 12 we were catching water moccasins and copperheads and took pride in snatching them by the back off their heads never getting bit. Alligator snapping turtles that wouldn’t even fit in a big ice cooler. But the speckle king snake was special I every kid have one at least one time in their life. Very very friendly snake. Those were the days.

Yes Indeed!!!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i was walking down a creek looking for bottles and what ever else i could find when i looked up there was a mangy looking dog on the other bank he growled at me as i backed off he started running towards me when he got close enough i hit on the snout hard with a walking stick he whimpered and ran out since then i have always carried a gun with me

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some interesting stories thats for sure. I have had some crazy things happen to me with animals but about the creepiest things have happened by meeting people at the creeks not that I wanted to meet them cause I try to avoid them if I see anybody. The last person I met said I was digging in the creek and said he called the sheriff on me. Well I knew I was innocent so I went to the sheriffs office with my info and permission in hand. I had permission to be there but he didnt and I let him know. Of course the sheriffs office ran my info and nothing came back negative on me. Im hoping to see that guy again.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking a large field, head down in my own little world oblivious to anything else. I heard a sound, looked behind me and saw a pit bulldog about 10 or 15ft behind me, I was probably 300ft from my truck with nothing but my flippin stick for protection which would of only pissed him off, I just said hey boy what are you doing, turned back around and went back to walking, fortunately he left without bothering me. I have tried to be more aware of my surroundings since then. I have thought of getting a pistol to carry when out like that, it would probably be a good idea.

That reminds me something similar happening to me once. I was hunting a site that had a house at one end. I was about 200 yards from the house with my head down and concentrating on all the Flint I was seeing. I heard what sounded like galloping so I turned to look and there was a Great Dane the size of a small horse coming right at me at full speed. Like you, all I had was my flipping stick and I was right in the middle of the field with nowhere to go. I held my stick like a ball bat and braced for him to get close so I could swing before it got to me. He got about 15 feet from me and came a complete stop with his tail wagging. All he wanted was to be petted. Scared the living crap out of me but he turned out to a good dog. He really destroyed the field though when he came out through there.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
last year me and you youngest were out hunting in a coastal clearcut, heads down wandering down an old logging access road. It was fall so everything was greens and browns, scrubby and scraggly. Suddenly he stops and silently points.... a herd of 20 or 30 elk cross in front of us not ten feet away....single file, one at a time, some walking, the smaller ones leaping, now and then turning their heads to notice us. They were all cows and young non-breeders and as big as they are, we didn't hear them at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread