GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got off work early yesterday and figured I'd cool off down at the creek. I was sifting through the gravel when the sharks tooth and this arrowhead along with a broken tool came up at the same time. I thought I was on a hot spot but that was all. The item on the right is a half of a prehistoric whale tooth. It appears that I'm on a one arrowhead per weekend limit at the creek/river.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha, you only have me by two points so far! Give me a good year and I'll catch you! Oh yeah, nice point and I like the other junk too!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking point there, Jim. I'd probably have to give it a good wet sand between the palms scrubbing. There can be some great colors or translucency hiding under that flat black scum, although I know I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking point there, Jim. I'd probably have to give it a good wet sand between the palms scrubbing. There can be some great colors or translucency hiding under that flat black scum, although I know I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

i thought about doing that but, for whatever reason I decided to leave it as I found it. Most that I find I do the sand rub on.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

Sorry for the side track question, does the black scum come off after 30+ years of being framed? I have a couple of frames of old river finds from Georgia/Florida that weren’t cleaned. I like the black points, but I’ve always figured there was something more colorful underneath a few of them. Any suggestions about going at them?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the side track question, does the black scum come off after 30+ years of being framed? I have a couple of frames of old river finds from Georgia/Florida that weren’t cleaned. I like the black points, but I’ve always figured there was something more colorful underneath a few of them. Any suggestions about going at them?

If you have a broke one you might try soaking it in mineral oil. That works to remove the white patina on most of the field finds from down here. I have to admit I am not familiar with the wet sanding.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Somebody suggested letting point soak overnight in apple cidar vinegar than lightly cleaning with a tooth brush ....... I did this with a drill I found and it turned out really nice

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most of the points and tools that we find in the creeks or river here in Southwest Georgia come up flat black. If you rub it with fine wet sand it will remove this black material and reveal the points true color which for around here is the classic river polish. Most of the points that I have found are orange, brown, or red in color when the black is removed. I would guess that the black could be removed at any point after being found. I agree with fyrfftr1 that you may want to try it on a broke or less valuable point of tool first. The mineral oil works best on field finds. Good luck and let us know how it turned out?

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds there my friend! Once again, you are on a roll!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice point you found. what are you calling it?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost forgot I never tell the real creek name or area. I have some places I hunt but change the names here are a few examples, Bottle Creek, Celt Creek and what use to be my favorite but now I call it Skunk Creek cause I dont find a thing now.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds.Congrats :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread