1.4 MB · Views: 90
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , the point in 2nd pic is interesting do you think it was bigger originally and broke and was being reworked or just a point not completely finished ? In either case cool find nice material

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds ,its a shame the tip is gone on that one, also the hoes are great finds as well especially the largest one.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds rock! I really like that Carmel uniface tool!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any polish on the bits? Our hoes and spades up here are flint. I've never seen on made from an igneous rock. Gary

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great finds.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , the point in 2nd pic is interesting do you think it was bigger originally and broke and was being reworked or just a point not completely finished ? In either case cool find nice material

Im sure it was bigger looks to be a Benton Bottle Neck middle archaic period. Shame on the tip but Im putting it in my frame anyway. Not many are whole this year. We just got a huge rain last night so maybe something else will turn up on my next trip.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ,its a shame the tip is gone on that one, also the hoes are great finds as well especially the largest one.

I put the larger one in my Hard Stone frame. Its a nice example of one. I believe by the hafting section in the middle it might of been used for a couple of things like a Club Head. I took it to my last artifact show and showed it around to a few collectors some said Hoe and others said Ax due to the hafting section in the middle.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds rock! I really like that Carmel uniface tool!

I have found all sorts of odd shaped flint pieces in that area some are the ends of Chipped Celts but havent found a whole one yet, maybe one day. Thanks its a rare color.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds rock .

I just never know what I will find in that creek, sometimes I find old bottles. I call it Bottle Creek

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any polish on the bits? Our hoes and spades up here are flint. I've never seen on made from an igneous rock. Gary

Id like to find a single flint cobble in that area of 500 acres I have permission on. Ive been looking there for 3 years now. Went upstream as far as somebody could ever go and nothing but this type of stone and quartz cobbles which arent good quality by the way. Im guessing they were following the creek downstream and walked upon the big natural spring head and decided to stay. If they had only known that 5 more miles they would of hit flint heaven.
You should go to one of the local shows in my area thats what the hoes are made from but we do have flint axes but not in that area. The finds are from a mountainous area lots for big rocks and overhangs and 1 cave. I have been tempted to stick my head in the cave but there is a big black bear that lives in the area and Im betting my oats he lives in that cave by the trail leaving the entrance going up a steep hill behind it. So I guess I wont look in it, ha

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those hoes or whatever you want to call them look like ones that are found in my area.The ones I have seen and found are made of limestone, that may be what yours are.I have seen them with a highly polished bit, and some do not.I think it is just that some were used more than others.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I especially like the Native digging implements. They may not be the sexiest artifacts but I've been digging holes since I could walk so ancient digging/cultivating tools resonate rather deeply with me.

I have been tempted to stick my head in the cave but there is a big black bear that lives in the area and Im betting my oats he lives in that cave by the trail leaving the entrance going up a steep hill behind it. So I guess I wont look in it, ha

Sounds like the bear is guarding a treasure! Hard to say without seeing it but I'd be awfully tempted to poke around inside, the greater the risk the greater the reward! I don't know the secrets of bear behavior but if you urinated around the entrance, or doused the area with some sort of unsavory repellent would that be enough to encourage the bear to move elsewhere?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those hoes or whatever you want to call them look like ones that are found in my area.The ones I have seen and found are made of limestone, that may be what yours are.I have seen them with a highly polished bit, and some do not.I think it is just that some were used more than others.

At the show a person pointed out to me on the end as it being dull he said that was use wear. A club Head wont have a blade on the end and will be dull I have a few of them even though they are called a ax they werent made for cutting wood they were used as a weapon and hafted like a ax head. I think some people dont know they had war clubs like this it also would make for a good weapon to finish a kill like a deer. Hit it in the head with a stone club and it wont move again. But your rite it could be a hoe its quite dense and is heavier than it looks. Thanks

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I especially like the Native digging implements. They may not be the sexiest artifacts but I've been digging holes since I could walk so ancient digging/cultivating tools resonate rather deeply with me.

Sounds like the bear is guarding a treasure! Hard to say without seeing it but I'd be awfully tempted to poke around inside, the greater the risk the greater the reward! I don't know the secrets of bear behavior but if you urinated around the entrance, or doused the area with some sort of unsavory repellent would that be enough to encourage the bear to move elsewhere?

Not sure what it would do I sure wouldnt want it to charge me you cant out run them or out climb them. Could be some treasures in there but Im not going to look. Your rite the Hoe styles arent sexy but why make something nice just to break in the hard soil we have here. I have found some other hard stone pieces in the same section. Glad you like them, rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread