PIECES THAT I HOPE SHOW MORE POTENTIAL

Rock Steady

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2018
Western Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone,

This is really nice having others who know give an opinion. I have had so much fun finding these I hope I have not been duped by an over-active imagination. Let me know if I am on the right track or not. Here are a few of my favorites collected so far. Thanks in advance for your interest.

Rock Frog Bowl.jpg View attachment 1638258 Black stonewpink dots.jpg Blkstnwdgy.jpg Hard stone Grinder Pink Dots.JPG hsgpd4.JPG mnorbrd4.jpg stbhs1.JPG stbhs.JPG Frog Bowl1.jpg Bear effigy.jpg BS.JPG BS3.JPG BS5.JPG

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but nothing there looks to be altered by man. The piece in pics 4 and 5 looks interesting. Can you show some more pictures of it. You should concentrate on trying to find Flint and artifacts made from Flint before trying to find Stone Tools.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're in MI so you have tons of glacial erratics brought down from Canada. The glacier was not kind to many of these rocks and they are bashed and broken many times with odd shapes. The glacier was good at making geofacts. Gary

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but nothing there looks to be altered by man. The piece in pics 4 and 5 looks interesting. Can you show some more pictures of it. You should concentrate on trying to find Flint and artifacts made from Flint before trying to find Stone Tools.

Picture 4 and 5 is the only thing looking interesting to me as well, need more pictures to see if it is flat from glacial grinding or used as a mano.

OP
OP
R

Rock Steady

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2018
Western Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again guys for the report. I was really hopeful for the frog bowl. Oh well, I will see if I have a few more of that stone. hsgpd1.JPG hsgpd2.JPG hsgpd3.JPG Here are 3 more of the grinder stone. Its very hard trying to determine between the real thing and imposters. I have pieces that look so old and weathered and that have places where you can see the where it is worn by rubbing. also many stones that actually are stained with the imprint of the users dirty hand and the wear pattern of the tool that show long term use, or so I think. anyway, I appreciate your input and look forward to getting thoughts on a number of things in the future.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like geofact to me with new pictures also, don't see any signs of being used as a grinder in picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread