Justlookdown

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Old broken thing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. New here and was just wondering if I could reach out to all the awesome people on this forum. I am interested in finding any other examples of timucuan artifacts related to effigies. I have in my posession an incredible carved steatite human effigy from central Florida. I am just wondering if there are more of them or anything similar out there. Besides the two faces on a boulder of identical style. Any help is much appriciated. I am positive as to the locstion and can trace it back to the originating watershed.

20180820_123003.jpg

Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a very nice artifact. Soapstone is not common in Fl. so was most likely brought here by trading between NA's. Any more info? Was it found in a Fl. river? Welcome to the site.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great piece. Are the faces on the bolder in the same area? I wish that the people who try to see images in plain rocks could see this one !

OP
OP
J

Justlookdown

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Old broken thing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told there was a source of this particular stone type near GA. This was found in a river while a family friend was building some sort of retainig wall in the mid 60s. Apperently there is a photo somewhere of the same rock used as a door stop in the 70s. Not a door stop anymore.

OP
OP
J

Justlookdown

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Old broken thing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The faces on the boulder are somewhat nearby within 10 miles. I am working on finding out exactly where this one came from. Have it narrowed down to a couple tributaries. The boulder is pretty famous. native_americans1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread