monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this little pot for some time now and I finally made my mind up to get it restored. As collectors we all have items that are heart breakers. In your opinion would you have done this or would you have left it like it was and please state why you would do either. 1st photo is how it was found, 2nd is it restored. friendship bowl2.jpg pot restored.jpg

Upvote 0

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
For myself, if I found such an item in that condition I would have left it as is. I prefer my collectables to be as found (other than a very light/minimal cleaning) rather than having modern repairs done to them. I find that they mean more to me that way, warts and blemishes and all, than ones that have been fixed. More authentic so to speak.

Just my perspective.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things i would repair, but others i would leave as is. I think the damage on the vessel was minimal enough for me to have left it alone. Looked like it had a good side to display and a not so pretty side with a story. looks good though.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem with an artifact being restored. But, if it gets sold who's to say the buyer won't turn around and represent it as an authentic piece? If you plan on keeping it forever that won't be a problem until your forever ends, but somewhere down the line it could get falsely advertised.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that matters is what you want what will make you happy!!!!!!!!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t have any artifacts that are nearly that awesome, so I really can’t say what I’d do. Whoever did the restoration did a fantastic job though.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every collecting hobby has two sides. Neither side is wrong. restore Don't restore. I collect hit & miss engines. I have some that were in such a mess I had to go all the way, slick paint and all. The rest are restored mechanically but left rusty and coated with linseed oil. At a show it seems the younger folks like the shinny ones, the older crowd like the ones that look 125 yrs old. I think in the artifact hobby you need both kinds to tell the story. You need a whole piece to display besides the shards. I think you did right.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to read the thread twice to realize the second pic was the restoration. You did well. The restoration is fantastic quality. Did D.B. in AL restore this? He does flint but not sure if he does pottery. Gary

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Looks good to me.

In my opinion: There is almost no chance that your restoration created something that didn’t exist originally. Broken pottery items with rim sections missing are prone to breakage, restoration can stabilize a piece. It likely increases the odds your 1000 year old Caddo bowl will be displayed and protected for the next 1000 years.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a point restored. I think it would be ok however. As something of a potter myself, somebody did a fantastic restoration on that pot. Very curious how they did it.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure, it looks great, and it was no doubt restored faithfully, meaning there is no reason to think it look differently prior to the damage. It now looks as it did originally. Nor was it a case of a massive amount of restoration being required. Further, it is perfectly acceptable and common to perform restoration work on pottery. Certainly more of a standard procedure then is the case with flaked stone artifacts. Finally, if you like and enjoy the piece in its present state, well, you have only yourself to please, so enjoy it!

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to read the thread twice to realize the second pic was the restoration. You did well. The restoration is fantastic quality. Did D.B. in AL restore this? He does flint but not sure if he does pottery. Gary

I had a guy out of Ok. do the work, I think he did a great job and it didn't cost a arm and a leg.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me.

In my opinion: There is almost no chance that your restoration created something that didn’t exist originally. Broken pottery items with rim sections missing are prone to breakage, restoration can stabilize a piece. It likely increases the odds your 1000 year old Caddo bowl will be displayed and protected for the next 1000 years.

You are so right there was more problems with the pot that had came up with time on the shelve. I'll post some more photos of the other problems a little latter, but now I know my grandkids will get to have it.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem with an artifact being restored. But, if it gets sold who's to say the buyer won't turn around and represent it as an authentic piece? If you plan on keeping it forever that won't be a problem until your forever ends, but somewhere down the line it could get falsely advertised.

On pottery you can see where a item was restored you just need to look and you will see it. On stone items you sometimes have to use a black light to show the repair. I have said this before if you are going to collect anything you need to know everything about that type of item from the real deal to a reproduction and this pot is still a authentic artifact, it's just been repaired which anyone can see on inspection.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
friendship bowl1.jpg friendship bowl4.jpg friendship bowl5.jpg Now you can see this little bowl had a world of problems, but now I know it will stay in one piece.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoever made it originally would probably be tickled with the restoration. That's a Caddoan design, isn't it?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its yours whst do you want is the key

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread