newbie here, first find/hammerstone ?

DannG

Oct 12, 2018
LI, NY
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Everyone,
I've been looking for arrowheads on Long Island, with no success for a few years now.
I did finally pull this stone up in Massapequa ( Long Island) last summer. A friend of mine lives south of Merrick Rd, near where an Indian Fort was located.
I think it may be a hammerstone, but have no experience, any opinions ?
It fits the hand comfortably, even showing signs of being worked to let the thumb grasp more firmly. If held a certain way, the bottom flat surface looks stained with a reddish color, showing much more wear than the rest of the stone ?
Thanks for looking
DannG

Attachments

• IMG_7300.JPG
    IMG_7300.JPG
    836.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7296.JPG
    IMG_7296.JPG
    783.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7297.JPG
    775.2 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be not all of em were perfectly crafted nice find

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to TN from Southeast Texas

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not a rock guy but Welcome to Tnet.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most hammerstones were not fashioned, but simply picked up and used. An exception would be something like a grooved maul, a more formal tool then a simple hammerstone. The area where your thumb fits shows no sign of having been altered to accomadate your thumb, I just see unaltered cortex or the skin of the cobble in that area. I'm also not seeing the area that would show the battering usage of a hammerstone, unless it's the first photo, in which case I can't be certain. But from the second photo I assume you believe the underside in that photo was the business end. Can't be certain from your photos.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BTW, you should not be unsuccessful finding points after a few years of trying, so you may be hunting in the wrong areas. I know people finding points on Long Island. Try the beaches of bays and estuaries. Beaches with lines of rocks that are the size of an average point. I have not personally hunted Long Island, but I know guys hunt the beaches there with good results. Also, agricultural fields near fresh water sources, and after heavy rains, and with owner permission. For the most part, the right beaches, and farm fields are going to be your best bet here in the Northeast. Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet.

Sorry, I'm not seeing any signs of being used as a hammer stone. Please don't make the mistake many new artifact hunters make basing how a stone fits their hand as sign it is artifact, it will mislead you every time, that is the wonder of the human hand.

OP
OP
D

DannG

Oct 12, 2018
LI, NY
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for the welcomes and advice, I'll keep looking !
DannG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread