VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out dirt fishing last night and found my 5th Jesuit Ring. This Seneca Indian site dates back to 1655-1675. The Jesuits here preaching Christianity to the Senecas. They brought trade items with them. I can't believe in 6 trips and I found the 5th one. This one has an L with a really crude heart! I also picked some glass trade beads. One is a really cool black glass tube bead and the others are red trade beads, which are so great to find. The trick is to find something so small in a plowed field! Thought i'd put in a pic of all 5 Rings! View attachment A538 - 20181011_214426.bmp View attachment A539 - 20181011_214429.bmp View attachment A542 - 20181012_165740.bmp View attachment A543 - 20181012_170621.bmp

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. You're putting together quite the collection from that site. Any chance you can show everything you've found there?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hard to understand why they were so careless with their jewelry.

Your luck sounds comparable to 2 Clovis finds in 3 hunts.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's amazing how many trade goods have come off of, and still do come off of, Senaca village sites in that part of NY. Makes me wish the Jesuits had plied their faith down my way:)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they ever go to N GA? I just have never read up on them but do enjoy watching Treasure Quest

OP
OP
VERMONTIS

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To The Grim Reaper, I'm doing more pics on everything I've found at this site. So incredible to find history of this caliber in such great shape! 1655-1675,,,real hard to find European influence older than this

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
those need to be written up about in your family archive...your "grandson" is going to look at those and say "meh, junk" and toss them asside, never knowing just how amazing they really are.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To The Grim Reaper, I'm doing more pics on everything I've found at this site. So incredible to find history of this caliber in such great shape! 1655-1675,,,real hard to find European influence older than this

I have a collection from the Dann site in Livingston Co., NY, which dates 1655-75. Includes both chert Madison points and European trade goods. Also the Burrell Creek site, and a collection of iron knives from the Powerhouse Site, which is somewhat earlier then the Dann and Burrell Creek sites.

But, material from 12-13th century European culture has apparently been found on sites in eastern New York. This would be either Norse or Icelandic, and would have been traded down from Maritime Canada or perhaps Greenland. Icelandic traders spread both ivory and furs from North America through Europe in that early time frame. I am not aware of what specific material made its way onto New York sites, but it's mentioned at this link:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Native_People_of_Southern_New_England_15.html?id=M4m15oUrqJUC

I do assume any material culture from 12-13th century Europe would have arrived in New York through trade among native goods, and not direct contact with the Norse or Icelandic traders.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a collection from the Dann site in Livingston Co., NY, which dates 1655-75. Includes both chert Madison points and European trade goods. Also the Burrell Creek site, and a collection of iron knives from the Powerhouse Site, which is somewhat earlier then the Dann and Burrell Creek sites.

But, material from 12-13th century European culture has apparently been found on sites in eastern New York. This would be either Norse or Icelandic, and would have been traded down from Maritime Canada or perhaps Greenland. Icelandic traders spread both ivory and furs from North America through Europe in that early time frame. I am not aware of what specific material made its way onto New York sites, but it's mentioned at this link:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Native_People_of_Southern_New_England_15.html?id=M4m15oUrqJUC

I do assume any material culture from 12-13th century Europe would have arrived in New York through trade among native goods, and not direct contact with the Norse or Icelandic traders.

It did not allow me to post a link to the specific page of that book, although I've been able to post it on other sites. But, you can scroll through that Google book, and find the description on page 92. It mentions "exotic goods" of European origin being found on sites in the St. Lawrence Valley, and as far south as eastern NY, on "protohistoric" sites in NY, and believed to have originated either in Greenland or the coast of Labrador, Canada.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread