rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that was fast didnt even have it for a week. Took the sticks to the owner today and she said thank you go ahead and have a look. I walked probably 2-3 miles and found a couple this one was the best. Got back and another car was there I introduced myself and a woman was staring and I asked if she was a relative and she said yes I am. I said well I have permission and traded gifts and she said well hope you had fun but dont come back. Then took all my finds and kept the sticks. I forgot about this one it was in a different pocket.
Big Sandy

Attachments

• SDC13330.JPG
    SDC13330.JPG
    615.5 KB · Views: 116
  • SDC13332.JPG
    SDC13332.JPG
    642.4 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to say that has never happened before and hope it never happens again made me feel bad. Ive had no before or yes but never a get out after I got a yes.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's terrible! I went in a field out in the middle of no where & no houses around & it wasn't posted so I thought I would take a look around I hunted for about 2 hours found a bunch of brokes & a couple nice points so I here someone hollering so I started walking back to my truck the closer I got this guy was cussing at me so I didn't say anything so I get to my truck & this guy says give me your finds & I looked at him & laughed I told him I'm not giving you anything & I got in my truck & left! I always try to get permission but like I said there was nothing around & when you start finding artifacts it's hard to stop looking! Rock you should of kept your finds she had no right to ask for them!

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how mean people can be. Makes you realize just how miserable some people really are with their lives.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that's terrible! I went in a field out in the middle of no where & no houses around & it wasn't posted so I thought I would take a look around I hunted for about 2 hours found a bunch of brokes & a couple nice points so I here someone hollering so I started walking back to my truck the closer I got this guy was cussing at me so I didn't say anything so I get to my truck & this guy says give me your finds & I looked at him & laughed I told him I'm not giving you anything & I got in my truck & left! I always try to get permission but like I said there was nothing around & when you start finding artifacts it's hard to stop looking! Rock you should of kept your finds she had no right to ask for them!

Not sure about Ohio law, but here in SC, the middle of nowhere and nobody around describes most of the state, and entering without permission is called trespassing.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about Ohio law, but here in SC, the middle of nowhere and nobody around describes most of the state, and entering without permission is called trespassing.

I'm originally from Ohio...It's the same way for a lot of that state too. I thought the same thing when I read that post.:laughing7:

I had the same type of thing happen when detecting. I was young and new to detecting, the neighbor said I could detect his yard....He grabbed everything out of my hand as I found it. :laughing7: The farmers use to be really cool about us hunting arrowheads, even as kids we would walk the fields after they plowed and discked(?) them. Sometimes we would even walk the parts they just planted while they were still planting the rest.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't dwell on it, it happens. I've been detecting since 1967. Many times a friend would say OK, then uncle Bubba shows up and says no. Some of those sites are now subdivisions or strip malls, and I drive buy wishing that treasures are buried there and Bubba never got a penny of it !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't dwell on it, it happens. I've been detecting since 1967. Many times a friend would say OK, then uncle Bubba shows up and says no. Some of those sites are now subdivisions or strip malls, and I drive buy wishing that treasures are buried there and Bubba never got a penny of it !!!
It could of been somebody else in that family looked for them and the owner wasnt aware of it due to the amount of debitage I was finding verses the almost whole points I found (3) total. If the creek area hadnt of had feeder corn on it and replanted after harvest I do believe it would of revealed some nice ones but I couldnt see a thing with all of the overburden. Creek looked good but they had cattle on it and was fenced off. I might try another property downstream to see if that owner is more understanding. Just never know maybe I walked up on something they didnt want me to see which does happen but I just ignore it cause it isnt any of my business Im just out there enjoying life, rock

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Rock, that stinks. I wouldn’t have given her anything that I had found, but you probably did the right thing in the long run.

I’m pretty sure Ohio is one of those states where uninhabited property has to be marked or you have to leave when requested. If it isn’t marked, and it’s not a residential property, you aren’t criminally trespassing until you ignore the posted areas or if you comeback/refuse to leave after verbal warning.

I’m not advocating hunting like that since permission is always best, but that’s the way the many midwesterners hunted for a long time.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you lost that field. Looked like a good one.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that was fast didnt even have it for a week. Took the sticks to the owner today and she said thank you go ahead and have a look. I walked probably 2-3 miles and found a couple this one was the best. Got back and another car was there I introduced myself and a woman was staring and I asked if she was a relative and she said yes I am. I said well I have permission and traded gifts and she said well hope you had fun but dont come back. Then took all my finds and kept the sticks. I forgot about this one it was in a different pocket.
Big Sandy

Since you had permission why not go with her back to the house and talk to the woman who actually gave you permission in the first place? I also would not of given her anything that you found.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you had permission why not go with her back to the house and talk to the woman who actually gave you permission in the first place? I also would not of given her anything that you found.

The owner was there and looked a bit scared I could tell she felt bad about letting me look on her property like it wasnt a good idea. You never know why people do what they do so I surly dont want to cause waves with family. I have delt with another relative of hers in the past he doesnt let people look for them either so I was shocked she let me. The story goes as I have heard it when the kids were growing up their mom was so addicted to looking that she was never home and the father had to do all of the house chores and the farming and all of the kids hate arrowhead collecting with a passion. I dont know how long ago that was. This is a small town and everyone knows each other I dont want my reputation in this town to be bad I have other properties with permission I am allowed on but do like a new adventure every once in a while. The artifacts I gave up all were broken except a small jasper scraper and a black flint knife that was crude in the making so nothing of value except to a collector. some dont know the values of artifacts and she might of thought they were valuable. I do miss my sticks I made but of course they werent there when they asked me not to come back. My sticks were worth more than what I found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread