Found in Austin TX--what is it?

Ticker

Greenie
Oct 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It fits perfectly in the hand with a distinct pointer finger print. Maybe a couple lbs. That is my wife's hand holding it but it actually fits better in my hand (bigger). thanks

IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0643.JPG

OP
OP
T

Ticker

Greenie
Oct 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From The University of TX Anthropology Dept.---

“Groundstone” artifacts were used for several thousand years, so in general they are fairly common; that one is kind of unusual though. My guess is they took advantage of a void left by a natural inclusion (producing the really distinct cup shape) and it was subsequently shaped by frequent use. It may have been multi-functional—it very well could have been used for dressing antler billets along with a mortar/pestle-type function (grinding ochre and whatnot for paint, grinding herbs for medicine, etc.). Mortars and pestles (some of which are impressed directly into exposed bedrock for grinding acorns and/or xerophytic plants) have been found in central Texas archeological sites, although more slab-like metates with manos tend to occur more frequently. In this area, I doubt if it would have been a fire stone.

OP
OP
T

Ticker

Greenie
Oct 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only other pic I have at the moment...it's at home, me at work.

IMG_0642.JPG

OP
OP
T

Ticker

Greenie
Oct 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you felt the hand print you might think otherwise. It fits perfect in the hand. But what do I know, I was just bird hunting and stumbled over it!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It fits perfectly in the hand with a distinct pointer finger print. Maybe a couple lbs. That is my wife's hand holding it but it actually fits better in my hand (bigger). thanks

View attachment 1642910 View attachment 1642911
I mean no disrespect, but the void looks to be where a nodule of a softer material has weathered out of the stone. the stone it self looks like a type of chert or jasper. Jasper is a harder material when compared to some of the "host" rock it can be found in. It's shape here is reminiscent of a gas bubble that formed from the cooling magma that this material may have been in. Looking closely at the dished out void, it would not have rough uneven edges if it had been ground out by hand, it would in fact be very smooth! In fact the dished out part would almost be perfectly round. You have to think about how it would come out if you, yourself were making a stone bowl out of this same material. As far as it fitting your hand, our hands are a marvel of engineering. They are made to grip anything we encounter. Any hand sized object, when turned over and over will seem to "fit" our hand, because that is how hands are made! It is a VERY cool rock, but natural. I would absolutely picked that up and have put it into my rock collection if i had found it! Again, not looking to just dismiss your claim, I just hope you can see why others, who are VERY experienced in artifacts on here are telling you that is a natural stone. Some of these members have more years of experience than other members have even been alive! By the way, welcome to TNET! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Ticker

Greenie
Oct 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No disrespect at all! You make some great points. I am going to scour the spot I found it and post if I find anything new.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a eroded geode of some kind. Looks to have some nice water polish on it.

OP
OP
T

Ticker

Greenie
Oct 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another shot from the underside that is broken. Appreciate everyone's opinion.

IMG_5374.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

Ticker

Greenie
Oct 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I did but I tend to side with the Anthropology professor from the U of TX in that it is a "groundstone" used by Natives in this area. I pasted his reply above. It doesn't appear to be the same type of stone as an omarolluck which seems more sandstone type. And the rounded area looks "worked" to me and an omarolluck is very smooth. I'm adding it to my collection and see if anything else is around the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread