Unknown artifact

A

Audozer

I wish I could take credit for this find but it was found by a family member in a load of gravel out by five points ca about 30 years ago. He says the gravel likely came from a quarry near coalinga ca but there's no way to prove that. Nobody has ever shown this to an expert so I offered to show it off here with hopes of some information as to what it is and how old it could be. Thanks in advance! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1539708893.537838.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1539708904.971646.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1539708921.227290.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1539708938.042487.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1539708978.262342.jpg

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very cool artifact. It looks old and authentic, whatever it is. Ornamental. To me, it looks like a paper wasp nest, with depictions of the larvae etched into the sides. Good luck with an ID.

OP
OP
A

Audozer

That is a very cool artifact. It looks old and authentic, whatever it is. Ornamental. To me, it looks like a paper wasp nest, with depictions of the larvae etched into the sides. Good luck with an ID.

Yeah it's not like anything I've ever seen before and it is just plain cool. I wish it was found on location rather than the way it was, we probably will never know exactly what it is or where it came from for sure

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
It kinda looks like a Dreidel to me...Some kind of top. Just a guess...it's Very Cool!!

Kace

OP
OP
A

Audozer

I don't know the material but it is hard, almost as if it was some kind of fired clay. It does seem to have vertical marks leading into the hole as if it had a string wearing on the edges. Look close in this pic, you can see evidence of what I'm talking about. Sorry I don't have it in my possession or I'd take better pics ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1539722585.863881.jpg

OP
OP
A

Audozer

Thanks guys! Any indication as to its round about age?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread