88.9 KB · Views: 225
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sent that pic to a geologist friend who is also a knapper. He said there is no source of cryptocrystalline quartz (flint/chert) in Manitoba and he said the point is fine grained granite. I'm kind of skeptical of that and would sure like to hold that point in my hand. Gary

Boy, that is odd. Have to respect a geologist's opinion. I have some background in that science as well, having majored in geology in college. But, that was decades ago. I have no experience in knapping, but I do know enough about rocks, our Westerly, RI granite is the gold standard for monumental granite in the United States, found on virtually all Civil War battlefield sites, its very fine grained, the reason it's the gold standard for monumental granite, and one could never knapp it.

I too would be skeptical of granite being the answer. It is not at all unlike several of the rhyolites found in New England. I do not expect it is a New England rhyolite at all, but it would not surprise me if it were some variety of that volcanic rock. I would also wonder how far from a source of cryptocrystalline quartz the point was found. The source would not need to be in Manitoba if the point is Paleo, at which time lithics were often sourced from a great distance, although that was the case more in Early Paleo then Late Paleo.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Feldspar?

Feldspar is the most common mineral found in granite, but I don't believe the rock itself is pure feldspar. We have feldspar in abundance where I live, it would have weathered out of granitic rocks, but it was never sourced as a lithic material in New England. It's just not something that could be knapped.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well, winter freezes will pop off sharp flakes of granite from outcroppings and large erratics all the time. So are the edges ground? There are plenty of club heads and the like made from granite so it is not as if this stone wasn't well known and utilized. Let's see those edges and the surfaces.

OP
OP
J

Jason Crozier

Apr 7, 2018
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be back home tomorrow late afternoon and will post a lot more photos for you guys to look at. I appreciate all feed back and am even more intrigued by this point than ever.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet point ! I think others that said Agate Basin for style are correct if that’s the case it’s transitional Paleo era so 10,550-9,350 BP definitely a bucket lister for me anyways

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Resharpened Agate Basin. Retouch might have been by made by a later group since AB makers were typically focused on symmetry.

The material could be one of the quartzites from the US side of your border. Spanish Diggings (or some local quarry of the same geologic formation) or Silcrete from the Dakotas.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well, winter freezes will pop off sharp flakes of granite from outcroppings and large erratics all the time. So are the edges ground? There are plenty of club heads and the like made from granite so it is not as if this stone wasn't well known and utilized. Let's see those edges and the surfaces.

Yes, many hardstone tools are made from granite, but by pecking and grinding, not by knapping.

OP
OP
J

Jason Crozier

Apr 7, 2018
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever stone this point is made from I see evidence of knapping. Upon further examination I believe it to be some other material than granite, something similar but not granite.
This point is the only one I have ever heard of being found within 400 miles of where I’m located. It’s likely seen a lot of miles coming up from the states

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Yes, it probably hunted an extinct, much larger cousin of modern bison.

Manitoba is tough country to hunt. I’ve seen some great finds from there, but frequently the finds are buried deep. Do you have any wind blown areas? Look for little splinters of bone in the blowouts (or points) exposed on the surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread