All Treasure Hunting
I can add more photos in about a week when I return home

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is unreal. That looks like an igneous rock, not flint. Igneous rocks do break with a conchoidal fracture but knapping igneous rock is impossible...or so I thought. Definitely need more pics of that one. As to style, it looks like an obese Agate Basin. A mystery to me so far. Gary

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definetely need to see sides. Any flaking patterns? Only so much can be told from a single 2d pic.

OP
OP
J

Jason Crozier

Apr 7, 2018
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s definitely granite of some sort, I’ll post more pictures soon
Thanks for all the replies so far

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That point is not made of granite! It looks like some kind of local chert!

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way granite. If it was, it’s not a point. We need better pics. Then a better decision will be rendered.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a couple of points that are of a similar material as this one, I assumed they were granite. I found them in Wayne county MO or St. Francis county, don't remember any more :icon_scratch:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Visually, it does look like some granites. But, as others have mentioned, granite cannot be knapped, it cannot be granite. But it could be an igneous rock. Rhyolite, for example, is an extrusive volcanic igneous rock. Extrusive implies that it cools and crystallizes above the surface of the Earth. An intrusive igneous, like granite, cools and crystallizes inside the Earth. I'm not saying it's rhyolite, just a possibility. Maybe it's a chert. We can just safely say it's not granite. It also shows that the tip was resharpened. Whatever the type, it's a nice looking point.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I usually lay back and let the others guess on these types of things but looks like everyone has already given up on the material. Its a Salt and Pepper Quartzite and if it was heat treated it would of been a different color. Knapping that stuff must of been hard like making a point from a unheated quartz rock.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agate Basin looks correct

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do have one that resembles point 1.PNG that material .always thought it was Rhyolite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jason Crozier

Apr 7, 2018
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure does look like a very similar material to your point sawmill man. I guess granite was the wrong term to use, granite like in appearance is what I should have said.
Thanks all and as promised more pics to follow soon

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visually, it does look like some granites. But, as others have mentioned, granite cannot be knapped, it cannot be granite. But it could be an igneous rock. Rhyolite, for example, is an extrusive volcanic igneous rock. Extrusive implies that it cools and crystallizes above the surface of the Earth. An intrusive igneous, like granite, cools and crystallizes inside the Earth. I'm not saying it's rhyolite, just a possibility. Maybe it's a chert. We can just safely say it's not granite. It also shows that the tip was resharpened. Whatever the type, it's a nice looking point.
Thanks for the info, I found this interesting, because many of the points I have are made of jasper or "chert" that originates from a particular area here where there are pits where the material was "quarried" out for thousands of years. The host rock for this jasper (chert) is rhyolite. It is interesting to me how these types of rock are associated, and make sense to me that rhyolites can be knapped like flint or jasper (chert). One of these days when I get time I'll post some pics of these "pits"......

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a real nice point, and nice material!
I would agree that it is a cool and unusual local chert, or an exceptional form of quartzite as already suggested. Around here we have some points made of orthoquartzite which look rather similar. On the Delmarva orthoquartzite points a rather collectable because it is thought that the source of the material was submerged under the expanding Chesapeake Bay somewhere around the mid archaic timeframe, making the material unavailable to later peoples.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
boy that looks like granite! nice close ups of the edge work please! are they ground? and close ups of the matrix too!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent that pic to a geologist friend who is also a knapper. He said there is no source of cryptocrystalline quartz (flint/chert) in Manitoba and he said the point is fine grained granite. I'm kind of skeptical of that and would sure like to hold that point in my hand. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread