My greatest find ever

Xj1992r

Aug 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kayaking on the little Miami, in shallow water. I do have a hawks eye, and I see a circle IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG filled with pebbles.

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the pebbles in the hole are what formed that depression, not the hand of man. Small pebbles will get in there and are swirled around by the water thus forming holes like those over time. Do a Google search for Omarolluks and you'll see what I mean.

OP
OP
X

Xj1992r

Aug 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But can you be sure it wasn't used?
This has distinct charring on the bottom, I don't know why, and there is a mouthpiece cut it the top if you look close. You can drink from it perfectly. Also found in an area that has many Indian artifacts.
Makes no difference to me either way I still love it.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesn't really matter if it's natural...It's unusual and very cool looking and You Like It! That's What's Important!

I'd set it on a table and put some broken points or mini balls in it.

Kace

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's a Omark keep looking I'm sure you will find something soon!

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think it’s a Omarolluks. I know this is a common assumption but the concavity is not consistent with many I’ve seen on the field. It could be one of several geological reasons

OP
OP
X

Xj1992r

Aug 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is less than a quarter inch of stone that separates the top depression from the bottom depression...

Also it has been burned on the bottom, no doubt about that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but it is natural.

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because its natural doesn't ensure that its not an artifact … if stones where found that was already shaped into a useful shape they would have been considered a good find. That rock does look like it has been heated or maybe a natural staining in just right spot … I cant tell from a photo - but that would have made great liquid warmer for whoever found it..... just saying something is natural doesn't rule it out as an artifact …. the early potteries could not take direct flame and is why cooking stones and rocks like yours was needed for indirect heat … don't give in yet , it still may be a great find good luck and happy hunting

OP
OP
X

Xj1992r

Aug 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the point I'm trying to make...My cousin calls it the medicine man mixing bowl, lol. It has been used by someone, natural or not.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the point I'm trying to make...My cousin calls it the medicine man mixing bowl, lol. It has been used by someone, natural or not.

If you found this in a known village or camp site then maybe your assumption would hold water, yes pun intended. But finding it in the middle of a creek it is pretty much impossible to say it was ever touched by a human before you picked it up since it has zero evidence of being altered by man. I guess you can dream it was used by a medicine man, but the odds of that are about as good as me winning that 1.6 billion dollars last week.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes

I simple mortar MAYBE. It could possibly be a utilized Omar. But we will likely never know for sure since creek water wear would be very similar to use polish imho.

But a medicine mans mixing bowl is a real stretch.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it has proof on it of use it is just a rock, a rock used to throw and kill something would be an artifact but you will never have proof it was used. There is nothing in pictures that says it was used by Native Americans that I see.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to an expert in hand ya never know for sure till ya do even then hard to be sure nice find regardless

OP
OP
X

Xj1992r

Aug 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure have. Don't hate me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread