Cool Weather Brings Gifts

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some rain on Friday brought cooler weather and soft ground, and I was able to hunt my Early and late Archaic sites today.
I found a Big Sandy, what I believe is a Graham Cave and a nice Dalton.
At the other site I found something that resembles a cross between an Adena and a Savannah River. It is very cool and in great condition.
I also found what looks to be an early example of a Waller Knife by its shape, but is flaked on both sides. Maybe it's just coincidental, but it looks like one anyway.

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are nice they all look perfect! Did you find any brokes or anything lol!

I found 2 broken Daltons and about 20-30 various broken points between the two sites. There is one other area that I think is either a manufacturing site or a former trash pit. There are large flint cores and hundreds of broken points and blades. There are also caches of fire rock, which leads me to believe they manufactured tools there, but in any case it's a very unique site.

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking finds. Not sure what that big one is but it's not an Adena. Way to far south of the distribution range for you to have found hundreds of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adena_culture

I would call these Adenas, and though they may be a little larger than normal, we've found hundreds of them. If they are known by another name or I've got the type wrong, please let me know what they are. ProjectilePoints.net shows their distribution range as being further north, but their trading influence expanding to a much greater area. It's the only type I can find that's similar.

IMG_5242.PNG
IMG_5243.jpg IMG_5243.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably Waubesa Points which are Early Hopewell or Middle Woodland period in your area. I don't think the Adena went that far south but I could be wrong. They are killer pieces for sure. Maybe Neanderthal-Matt Rowe will see this and give his opinion.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All were found digging in different sites. The large Tallahatta knife was about 48" down from the existing soil line. The early Archaic items were closer to the surface, but in an a different area where the grade has eroded substantially over the past few thousand years.

You are a lucky man! Envious.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big nice pieces, congrats
If it ever stops raining here maybe I will be able to get out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread