Copper Spear Point Found

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not posted much lately but this find seemed worthy. I was metal detecting and found this copper spear point. It looks to be an actual native american artifact. I found it near one of the finger lakes in upstate NY. Anyone have any info on these?

Thanks Fingerlakes119

spear point.jpg

copper spear info.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I brushed away some of the dirt with a toothbrush last night. and its definitely copper, I did see some green and brown color under the caked dirt I removed. Also the conductivity and ferrous numbers on my Etrac indicated copper not lead. I am not so eager to clean this artifact. As with most metal detecting finds the worse thing you can do is to clean them. I'm considering donating this to a local museum. They can have it professionally cleaned if they wish.

Fingerlakes119

Yes! This thing deserves a place in a museum to be appreciated by many. Such a great piece of history.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, I’m voting Banner on your point.

Here’s the conical point I found in Pulaski.
58003C14-E5BA-4A5E-BC3D-6C7EA18F665F.jpeg FA8E616E-4394-4F12-87DC-2071446B5F28.jpeg AC239AC8-1281-4107-BF38-0BB07852C276.jpeg

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put in for banner as well, amazing piece of history

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "Mind Blasting Find" IMHO .
&
The fastest 'Banner' I have ever seen. LOL

It's def, worthy to be seen by all who appreciate these things ASAP.
WOW!

NEPA History

Apr 12, 2018
Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Definitely a copper spear point, around 3000/3500 years old. Look up Old Copper Culture on Google. Native Americans didn't smelt metal like over in Europe, but they did find natural deposits and nuggets of copper ore. They just cold hammered them into shape. These types of artifacts are scattered around the Great Lakes, with the Wisconsin area seemingly the core area, but they do occur in several states around the Great Lakes, including upstate New York. I know of one confirmed Old Copper Culture artifact here in the Wyoming Valley of Pennsylvania where I'm from, a socketed adze (a woodworking tool). As far as I know, this is the only culture and the only place where these types of artifacts exists. It's a great find, those types of artifacts are really not that common. Congratulations on a great hunt!

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! This thing deserves a place in a museum to be appreciated by many. Such a great piece of history.

In all likelihood once it is donated to a museum it will never see the light of day again. It will end up in a drawer or a box on a shelf in a back room.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome piece of history and sorry I missed it until now! I really don't hunt for Native American Artifacts anymore due to some bad karma (bad juju) I had from a carved Bear Tooth quite a few years ago but I might have to start looking at the forum posts. Also, congrats on the well deserved Banner!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you decide to donate it to a museum at least try to get a value of it for a write off on your taxes. Killer find

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where would most interested people be able to view this beauty? In a museum storage room? How about in a frame on your bookshelf?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread