Copper Spear Point Found

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not posted much lately but this find seemed worthy. I was metal detecting and found this copper spear point. It looks to be an actual native american artifact. I found it near one of the finger lakes in upstate NY. Anyone have any info on these?

Thanks Fingerlakes119

spear point.jpg

copper spear info.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not donate that item to a museum.
They may or may not display it. It might get displayed for a short amount of time, then be moved to the basement and put into storage. Possibly sold.

It it were mine, I’d consider loaning it for display.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Truly a sweet find!

All the best,

Lanny

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In all likelihood once it is donated to a museum it will never see the light of day again. It will end up in a drawer or a box on a shelf in a back room.

Having worked with museums for many years I'd have to disagree with you. Certainly some pieces get lost in the catacombs but the vast majority of donations get sold into the commercial market to help raise money for museum expenses. That's how most museums survive - by selling valuable donations.

If you want to assure your find will be displayed make a restricted donation or loan the piece on the condition it be displayed to the public.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned something new today. I never knew Native Americans worked metal like this.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fingerlakes, if you look on youtube under arrowhead hunting you can pick up a lot of info, and maybe someone in your area to hunt with? Artifacts come much easier when you know how to hunt them. The video's have helped me a lot, I found my first polished stone, I'll call it a combo nutting and digging, add hide softener and metate, you would not believe where I found it.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they find them in upper Michigan once in a while, that is a nice one compared to others iv seen

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking mighty fine! I can spend all summer hunting for copper and miss every piece. From Wisconsin.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The Central States Archaeological Societies journal often has columns on [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]native copper specimens. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]there are collectors around the great lakes who specialize in collecting native cooper. I have read many columns in the journal about these collectors finds.

The annual Collinsville CSASI/GIRS show also has copper displayed.
[/FONT]

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find man. It's Middle Archaic and what's known as a Whitney IE Typology from what I can remember off of the top of my head.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another possibility here. The object in question also looks like a bronze age point from Europe or the Mideast. The metal needs to be tested to see if it is copper or bronze. Bronze would rule out NA. There are thousands and thousands of the bronze points from Europe and the Mideast found and sold all the time. My aunt brought me back five of them and a bag of hammered copper coins from a trip in the 1950s. I was only about 11 and lost all the points and many of the coins in a few years as children usually do. Somewhere around here there are five bronze age points, likely in the woods or school ball fields since I liked to carry one around in my pocket as a kid.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree in regards to this being from the Bronze Age or made of Bronze. The patina, worm tracks, the little glimpse of copper, ect, 4000 - 5000 years old IMO.

Reason being....

This was my first signal/dig with a detector. :headbang:

10752750_1515211155403536_900027488_o.jpg

10849719_1515211172070201_1762560651_o.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread