Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Y'all,

My father-in-law found the first piece this fall while I was working the dirt to prepare for drilling wheat. Think that it's fully intact. Even though a couple of places are notched oddly, I think that they happened long ago. The second piece is one that I found last summer but I don't think that I ever got around to posting it. A friend said that it's a Kirk snapped base, although I guess some folks don't recognize those as valid types. They were both found in south-central Indiana about a half-mile apart. I think that they're Coshocton Flint. My father-in-law says that the material isn't very common around here. We got the wheat in fairly late, so it's still small enough that I may go looking after some more rains, on nice days when the ground is dry. I can't wait for late winter, early spring, when all of the fields have been worked and I can go walking around, looking at rocks again.

IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read somewhere that Coshocton flint has the highest silica content of any "chert" in the US. Very nice material. I've never seen a Coshocton point that was found here in IL. A little too far away. Gary

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think this one is Coshocton Flint, too?

Looks like it to me, but I’m no expert. Where was the point found. Perhaps one of the Ohio folks will weigh in.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure I find that here love that color my favorite

Top Member Reactions