Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

I don't really actively search for Native American artifacts, and yet I've stumbled upon my third celt (EDIT: more likely an adze (EDIT 2: it's a celt again!)). I found this in the hole while digging a metal signal at a new site (the signal was a chunk of melted lead).

It's right around 3.5 inches long, a little shorter and narrower than a similar specimen I found (below).

I don't know what to think anymore. I live in a historically rich area, but every time these things come up I still can't believe it.

Here are the artifacts I've found that are made of this type of stone.

Good luck and happy hunting,

NJ

DSCF7254.JPG DSCF7258.JPG DSCF7262.JPG DSCF7266.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i don't know how many times i have read that here..."I was digging a signal and up popped and artifact"....BAH! if only it was that easy for me!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't know how many times i have read that here..."I was digging a signal and up popped and artifact"....BAH! if only it was that easy for me!

It happens quite often.

That is a killer Celt and the rest are very nice too. Do you ever find any Points?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!

This was yesterday, when our first real snow (a good amount) began to fall and stay on the ground. I first went to a familiar site and didn't find much of anything. I was loving the snow though, absolutely beautiful, you couldn't see 50 yards. But my detector started acting up from the cold and moisture, and my hands and feet were getting super cold, so I just started heading home. But I stopped at a spot that I knew would be junky, I thought I'd try it anyway, never been there before. It was one of those days where I didn't bring my camera or anything and just wanted to soak everything in and enjoy it. All I found was some lead and brass. I was super cold and starting to give up. But yeah, then this thing like, SPRANG UP out of the plug on a gentle incline, it came up and out through the dirt and matted down grass, absolute dead centre of the plug, as if it gave the signal, revealed itself just like that, born from the earth, totally surreal, it was one of those magical moments that don't happen very often. Awesome!

And Grim, the only real "point" I've found is this Onondaga chert knife/hide scraper. I'm still waiting for my first arrowhead. But since I don't look for these types of things specifically, my eyes usually only catch the larger objects. And I'm just not that educated about it (now I know for a fact that there is a large pounding tool that I left behind at a dump because I dismissed it as an ordinary long rock, silly me).

DSCF7187.JPG DSCF7186.JPG

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a really nice Celt .... maybe I should start detecting cause I’m still searching for my first ..... since you have access to the property and it’s popping out finds like that you should check any streams , washouts ,plowed fields I bet there’s some real killers out there.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I think I would call that an adz instead of a celt.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I think I would call that an adz instead of a celt.

One side comes to the edge more gradually than the other, so I think you're probably right. Usually I just refer to these as an "adze or celt" to be safe. When I call it one thing, I never exclude the possibility of it being the other. Having looked at it more closely now, I'll refer to this as an adze from now on. Thanks flinthunter!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One side comes to the edge more gradually than the other, so I think you're probably right. Usually I just refer to these as an "adze or celt" to be safe. When I call it one thing, I never exclude the possibility of it being the other. Having looked at it more closely now, I'll refer to this as an adze from now on. Thanks flinthunter!

Just look at the edge straight on. I couldn't do that, because there was no photo of the edge straight on. But, if the edge is a straight edge, it's a celt. If there's a good curve when viewed head on, it's likely an adze. And, of course, if the business end is both curved, and with a trough or channel running back from that business end, it's a gouge.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look at the edge straight on. I couldn't do that, because there was no photo of the edge straight on. But, if the edge is a straight edge, it's a celt. If there's a good curve when viewed head on, it's likely an adze. And, of course, if the business end is both curved, and with a trough or channel running back from that business end, it's a gouge.

Here we go again! Haha, it's funny because last time I posted an artifact here (the bottom left one in the group pic), there were a lot of mixed opinions about whether it was a celt or adze. In the end I believe we arrived at celt...

Anyway, I'd say the edge of this one is pretty darn straight. And, looking at it yet again, maybe the sides do look pretty similar. I thought maybe the one side was a little more gradual, which it is, especially if I flip it over, but these kinds of things are pretty crude, so it's not like they're going to be perfectly symmetrical.

So, considering all of the criteria we've covered, I'm going BACK to calling this a celt then, haha. Thanks so much for your help!

DSCF7262.JPG DSCF7266.JPG

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree on that being a adz ! Nice find I just bought my first metal detector last week a Garrett ace 400 can't wait to take it out!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree on that being a adz ! Nice find I just bought my first metal detector last week a Garrett ace 400 can't wait to take it out!

Hah! I knew that archaeology could be inconclusive at times, but this is just nuts! I'm just gonna start calling this thing a "celdze"

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Here we go again! Haha, it's funny because last time I posted an artifact here (the bottom left one in the group pic), there were a lot of mixed opinions about whether it was a celt or adze. In the end I believe we arrived at celt...

Anyway, I'd say the edge of this one is pretty darn straight. And, looking at it yet again, maybe the sides do look pretty similar. I thought maybe the one side was a little more gradual, which it is, especially if I flip it over, but these kinds of things are pretty crude, so it's not like they're going to be perfectly symmetrical.

So, considering all of the criteria we've covered, I'm going BACK to calling this a celt then, haha. Thanks so much for your help!

View attachment 1652900 View attachment 1652901

nice one!!! Amazing how these things are found sometimes.

With that bit as straight as an arrow, I have to say it sure fits the form of a Celt.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hah! I knew that archaeology could be inconclusive at times, but this is just nuts! I'm just gonna start calling this thing a "celdze"

Well, for sure you can call it a super nice find by any name. But, thanks to your good photos of the business end, you can confidently call it a celt.

For comparison, here is a small adze, and looking straight on at the bit:

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1675.PNG

And looking at the leading edge of this adze from the side.

IMG_1676.JPG

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely celt, the fresh and sharp bit on the piece is fantastic. Much better than a lump-o-lead!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely celt, the fresh and sharp bit on the piece is fantastic. Much better than a lump-o-lead!

Plumbata, I'm used to pulling up dull rusted iron garden tools and bent up cutlery, and so I could not believe just how nice this edge is. Haha, you'll probably laugh at this, but the first thing I did when I found this celt, after inspecting it of course, was to lightly chop at my chest and head with it, haha, to appreciate the edge, the weight, and its effectiveness as a tool/weapon. Actually I think I've done that with all three of these celts I've found. Gotta use your imagination!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread