paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting today and this turned up in a plug. I find all sorts of natural quartz shards around from glacial till, but this one just didn't look right so I held onto it and figured I would post it to see if it actually was worked. It was in a field so it's possible that a plow hit it a few times.

20181209_194113.jpg 20181209_194101.jpg 20181209_194143.jpg

What do the experts think? Worked or natural fragment?

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough one but about 90% of my finds are quartz and i would say yes I was on the fence until I saw that serrated edge and the thickness of it id say you have a nice knife with just a bit missing from the tip and some base damage , good find

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough one but about 90% of my finds are quartz and i would say yes I was on the fence until I saw that serrated edge and the thickness of it id say you have a nice knife with just a bit missing from the tip and some base damage , good find

Thank you! The relative thinness of the piece is definitely different from the usual quartz chunks in this area. I can't imagine trying to shape quartz like this into a useful tool with all of the natural fractures and inclusions. It must have been an incredibly tedious and frustrating process.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely looks worked to me. Quartz is always tough to tell in pictures, but to me, yours looks worked.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is something that is hard to tell from pics. If there's a lot of quartz in that spot somebody could have picked that piece up and did a little test flaking then tossed it. Other more readily identifiable artifacts in that area would back that idea up.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! The relative thinness of the piece is definitely different from the usual quartz chunks in this area. I can't imagine trying to shape quartz like this into a useful tool with all of the natural fractures and inclusions. It must have been an incredibly tedious and frustrating process.

Welcome , I’m sure it was tough to work with which really makes you realize how skilled they were I have quite a few quartz points that are beautiful and worked as well as any other material , the translucent ones are my favorite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread