ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544821449.209234.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m hoping that it may be that the maybe’s are older than you maybe think.

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were all found on the same site within 20 ft of each other. 3 came from same spot around old oak tree about 4-6 inches in soil. I’ve found a couple points and loads of broken blades in this same hole.

Lots of flakes and broken and rejected bifaces in all stages of production, so a biface reduction site. See pages 155-214 of :

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x001726249;view=1up;seq=12

That being the case, the most likely explanation for the pieces in question is that there are the tested pieces brought to the work site for further reduction, but then either rejected or forgotten. With "tabs' or natural slabs like that, the first thing the knapper does is remove a squared edge to get a look inside, test the material and to set up a platform to drive thinning flakes deeper into the piece, just like on the pieces you show. The two pinkish ones: Is that color natural? Many cherts turn pink like that when heated, so maybe heat treating was part of the process at this work site.

Personally, I find the work sites interesting because they show you the process of how the stuff was made. Unfortunately they generally suck for finding points since the whole idea of the site was to make stuff to take away so whatever gets left behind tends to be junk. Still, you can get lucky. I have a really nice big blade (late stage preform) almost 6" long from a work site and saw one in a collection recently that was even bigger than that also found in a chip pile. Probably accidentally left behind. Also if the site is old enough, the paleo and sometimes the early archaic guys would often dump their old points at the work site after making new ones, so maybe...

OP
OP
Arkansaw

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe people collect what interests them. Something that doesn’t seem valuable to you might hold value to someone else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arkansaw

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of flakes and broken and rejected bifaces in all stages of production, so a biface reduction site. See pages 155-214 of :

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x001726249;view=1up;seq=12

That being the case, the most likely explanation for the pieces in question is that there are the tested pieces brought to the work site for further reduction, but then either rejected or forgotten. With "tabs' or natural slabs like that, the first thing the knapper does is remove a squared edge to get a look inside, test the material and to set up a platform to drive thinning flakes deeper into the piece, just like on the pieces you show. The two pinkish ones: Is that color natural? Many cherts turn pink like that when heated, so maybe heat treating was part of the process at this work site.

Personally, I find the work sites interesting because they show you the process of how the stuff was made. Unfortunately they generally suck for finding points since the whole idea of the site was to make stuff to take away so whatever gets left behind tends to be junk. Still, you can get lucky. I have a really nice big blade (late stage preform) almost 6" long from a work site and saw one in a collection recently that was even bigger than that also found in a chip pile. Probably accidentally left behind. Also if the site is old enough, the paleo and sometimes the early archaic guys would often dump their old points at the work site after making new ones, so maybe...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545103931.851209.jpg
Same hole

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do realize chert rocks are some of the most common rocks in the Ozark Mountains and have been here for well over 300 million years right? Just because one of them could be made into or used for something does not in any way make it an artifact.

OP
OP
Arkansaw

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You do realize chert rocks are some of the most common rocks in the Ozark Mountains and have been here for well over 300 million years right? Just because one of them could be made into or used for something does not in any way make it an artifact.

What are you talking about?

OP
OP
Arkansaw

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it’s “made” or “used for something” wouldn’t that make it an artifact?

OP
OP
Arkansaw

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This site is full of people who like to bash and bully. I come here to try and gain knowledge and receive crap. Can’t believe I donated 20 dollars.

OP
OP
Arkansaw

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are good pieces and not all from the same time periods.

Here's a sample of some pieces my brother and I have found in the last couple of years.
View attachment 1661738

View attachment 1661739

Yeah and I’ve had people tell me that this spot is trash. I believe it to be occupied for quite some time. Like I’ve said in another post, I was taken to this site. I wasn’t the first one here looking. I’m just picking up what was left over

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you talking about?
I was talking about the very first rock you posted in the thread, but before I finished and hit post, you had posted some good pieces that I made sure to compliment.

Don't get upset because not everyone agrees that every rock in the hole is an artifact simply because a few are.
Part of learning what is is learning what isn't.

If fact just today I had to accept that a piece of metal I found 2 years ago wasn't what I hoped it was, but it baffled multiple experts and finally took a high intensity X-ray gun to give a an elemental breakdown to determine what it wasn't. Now the mystery is what it is, and even the High Intensity X-ray said "no match found" for exactly what the alloy is. So I'm throwing it back in my scrap pile because I'm tired of trying to figure it out.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah and I’ve had people tell me that this spot is trash. I believe it to be occupied for quite some time. Like I’ve said in another post, I was taken to this site. I wasn’t the first one here looking. I’m just picking up what was left over

This whole area was occupied for THOUSANDS of years, especially if it's close to flowing water.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The title of your post is what would you call this? You asked for opinions and people gave them. If you do not want opinions don't ask for them. Patina will vary on cherts. Hornstone is a good example of looking like made yesterday and 12,000 years old.
on post #13 it looks suspicious because the worked area does not match the natural stone. It looks fresh. The first and second pics look like choppers.Nice tools.

OP
OP
Arkansaw

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can handle the criticism. I’m mainly frustrated with one person here who always leaves negative comments. Not just on my posts but plenty others as well. I’m sure that person knows who they are, but according to forum rules I can’t talk about it so I’ll leave it at that.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all good. Keep posting. It is how we all learn. I have a piece of knapped "limestone",lol. It's knapped in my mind anyways but yet have had one person agree with me.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all good. Keep posting. It is how we all learn. I have a piece of knapped "limestone",lol. It's knapped in my mind anyways but yet have had one person agree with me.

Limestone does not break with a conchoidal fracture. Sorry Mr. Moderator, but you can't knap limestone. Gary

OP
OP
Arkansaw

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe I started posting here with the wrong topics. I should probably send a few pictures of some of my stuff and then post these threads. I’ve got tons of points, blades, scrapers, etc. I just don’t post any of those things mainly because I can pinpoint what those are. I’m on a “chopper” quest right now. I’ve got so many and can’t identify half of them and there’s not much info online. It’s not like I’m posting here in hopes of finally finding a artifact. I’ve got all that. I just want more info on these specifically. What I call a chopper the next guys calls a core, then another guy called it a hand axe, which in turn someone’s says that’s a core chopper. You see what I mean? This ain’t my first rodeo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread