What would you all call this and what would it be used for?

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy that you all are finding some nice artifacts. I'm still getting nuthin'. I mentioned this thing in another post. It's about the size of a regular-sized Snickers bar (>6" long) and thick. My father-in-law found it many years ago in central Indiana. It's not super sharp and I don't think that the material is anything to write home about either. What do you all call it and any idea on use?

IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0667.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick, possibly? Nice find, whatever it is.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a neat piece. I hope to find something similar one day. I’ve had fairly good luck finding larger tools, and my eyes are getting better for the little ones.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Looks like Indian Creek Chert, or maybe Fall Creek. Those are the two major yellow/beige not great lithics found in the Middle part of Indiana.

That style of flint celt is oddly common around Monroe County, and a few counties around it. Go too far from there and you don't see them nearly as often in farm collections. Do you know what county/city it's from?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I am in central Indiana. I have buckets of complete and broken examples of this sort of relic.

I cant tell but from the images I dont see any use polish on the relic. It appears to have mostly large percussion flaking with little to no secondary pressure flaking.

I suspect these are incomplete examples of what could be flint celts or adz.

Knapped further to reduce the cross section and thinned it could also be a knife when completed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread