2018 Year-end Review

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are all of my finds for 2018. These were all found in creeks and all except for 4 of them were found in the same creek.

F8DCBF8E-5F8D-4593-803E-F502FF1EB615.jpeg

Upvote 0

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work.How many hours would you say you spent collecting to find them?

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work.How many hours would you say you spent collecting to find them?

I was actually thinking earlier how I should log my hours... I’m really not sure but I would guess between 40-60 hours worth of walking. I walked for 8 hours between Christmas and New Years alone..

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm seeing a lot of heated Burlington but no Cobden or Kaolin. I'm guessing you are in Western IL as opposed to southern. I'm in south central and we get a different mix of colors. Nice finds! Gary

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice group of arrow heads.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeing a lot of heated Burlington but no Cobden or Kaolin. I'm guessing you are in Western IL as opposed to southern. I'm in south central and we get a different mix of colors. Nice finds! Gary

I’m in southern Illinois and I do find quite a bit of Kaolin. I’m not an expert at identifying chert types but I have had many of my artifacts viewed by archeologists at cahokia mounds. I would think that the big orange one that is second from right in the middle row is Kaolin and maybe even the Dalton at the bottom.

What other chert types do you see in this collection?

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually thinking earlier how I should log my hours... I’m really not sure but I would guess between 40-60 hours worth of walking. I walked for 8 hours between Christmas and New Years alone..

I think you have a better success rate than me. Creek finds are hard to come by (for me), but usually better than field finds. Very good year!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a better success rate than me. Creek finds are hard to come by (for me), but usually better than field finds. Very good year!

I was thinking the same thing. My eyes haven’t been trained to spot them in creeks.

Great work BobGuy!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I have always found higher quality points in creeks since they don’t get dinged up by farm equipment!

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing. My eyes haven’t been trained to spot them in creeks.

Great work BobGuy!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

It’s all what you get used to. I started in fields and had a hard time in creeks because it was hard to process all of the information you see on gravel bars. Good thing around here is that there is a lot of different types of gravel and chert really pops out from the softer material. I haven’t done a lot of hunting in MO but many of their streams are full of material that is high in silica so I have found it really hard to hunt over there.

Funny thing is that I now have a harder time hunting in fields since I’m not used to it anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread