What did I find?

edteach

Feb 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got a chance to go out and hike the creeks. Water was down and not too cold. I found these right off the bat. The first group looks like debitage maybe some artifact piece. The last one was to my eye worked a lot. Picked up on private land. I got to talking to a guy who had a lot of NA items in his shop. We hit it off and he told me I could walk his creek.

Attachments

• DSC00971.JPG
    DSC00971.JPG
    643.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00972.JPG
    DSC00972.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00973.JPG
    DSC00973.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00974.JPG
    DSC00974.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00975.JPG
    DSC00975.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Yea, that last one was worked a lot.

Way to go!...Nice find!

Great material too!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite nice. That last one is either a knife or preform, and it looks like it's made out of petrified wood.

OP
OP
E

edteach

Feb 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I started looking for chips and saw this under the water. I thought maybe a spear point.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sort of doubt spear point as it is not very symmetrical. Doesn't really matter a lot, the material is exquisite.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that material it’s made from. It looks like the same type of costal chert that we find down here in Southwest Georgia. Cool find.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The group shot is all debitage, but the last three pictures is definitely an artifact. Nice looking Blade. Beautiful material too.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find looks like a small blade but some nice flaking on it .... if found near me I would think it’s made from flint , what state are you in ?

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say small blade? I think that's the most "worked" piece that I've ever seen!!

OP
OP
E

edteach

Feb 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I have spent a few hours looking in streams and creeks. Now that I look I bet I have picked up some scrapers and thrown them back. Its a learning curve.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I have spent a few hours looking in streams and creeks. Now that I look I bet I have picked up some scrapers and thrown them back. Its a learning curve.

Until you learn what is and what isn't an artifact it's better if you just bring home every piece with possibilities and check it closely and then decide yes or no and whether to keep it or chuck it in the rock garden.

OP
OP
E

edteach

Feb 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until you learn what is and what isn't an artifact it's better if you just bring home every piece with possibilities and check it closely and then decide yes or no and whether to keep it or chuck it in the rock garden.

I was thinking just that. Next time out I am going to bring home what ever looks interesting at all. I have seen a lot of rocks with micro chips.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
that's nice knife.

I would suspect the material picked up minerals in the water and changed the color to that you see now.

Different minerals will change the source chert/flint to different colors as they penetrate and age. I think a lot of iron in the water will change the color to the orange / dark greenish brown.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread