Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CLOVIS FOUND in capital letters… best clickbait there is on this forum. Like Catalpa worms to catfish… reel ‘em in.

Anyways, I often travel for work and ended up in the swamp last year. I had a little extra time so I hoofed it on down to the National Mall. I found these 5 stunners at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. monsterrack’s recent post reminded me of these photos, so I figured that I’d post them for your enjoyment. I wiped my drool off of the glass before I took the photos. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to visit the American Indian Museum. I may have made a mistake by not going there, but there’s always next time… I’ll see if I can find some photos from when I was at the Crazy Horse Memorial several years back and I promise... no more clickbait.

IMG_1967.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
damn clickbait...lol It would be nice wouldn't it?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He didn’t find any points

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn’t find any points

Did so! I was probably even the millionth person to find them there. And as the millionth finder, I think they should give me the one on the far left... or the center one. It was probably 8-9”.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Drake Cache.

Hadn’t heard of that, but you nailed it. I’m surprised the placard didn’t say more about it. Reading about it now... I guess the center one wasn’t quite that long. Thanks for the assist.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four of them look like Alibates but that green one on the left has me stumped. Gary

Hi Gary,
Drake Clovis Cache Page 1

I hadn’t heard of the Drake Cache until 11KBP mentioned it. The site above says it’s Alibates too but you know more about types of stone and points than me.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four of them look like Alibates but that green one on the left has me stumped. Gary

Hi Gary,
Drake Clovis Cache Page 1

I hadn’t heard of the Drake Cache until 11KBP mentioned it. The site above says it’s Alibates too but you know more about types of stone and points than me.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The American Indian Museum has far fewer lithic artifacts on display than I expected.

The National Museum of the American Indian actually consists of three separate facilities, in Washington, D.C., in New York City, and in Maryland. It was the George Heye facility in New York that at one time housed a huge collection of artifacts assembled by collector George Heye. Those artifacts were transferred to the Naryland facility some time ago...

https://americanindian.si.edu/about

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_the_American_Indian

It is a fact that "modern" museums do not emphasize material culture and do not therefore display many actual artifacts. The Pequot Museum in Ct., for instance, is a state of the art facility, but you will see comparatively few artifacts. The Robbins Museum of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society, on the other hand, is an "old fashion" facility where you will see a vast array of artifacts representing every class of artifact found in the New England region.

Yes, most museums have always had much bigger collections then visitors will ever see on actual display. The present generation of museums simply place far less emphasis on objects of material culture.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
What Charl wrote, and as many of us who have taken family members to a museum or show where there are lots of relics, the vast majority of the population are at best mildly interested. A display or two of relics is just as good as an entire wall of paleo relics, followed by a labyrinth of displays of later relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread