Very Old Pestle?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Something about the surface of this piece....and the way it fits so smoothly, comfortably in your hand - you can see a depression where one's fingers wrap around ... makes me think it is a very, very old and much used pestle. What think you? It's a 'Cigar Box Find' said to be from mid-west.

IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2165.JPG
IMG_2166.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
can you post some images of the bottom area please? From multiple angles please. I dont see much, if any, use polish, but the bottom would have the most use polish.

What is with the second rock? What is its purpose in the photos?

When you say 'Cigar Box Find', does this mean a find in an antique shop or what exactly?

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a pestle to me! Did someone give it to you?

DenDigger

Greenie
Dec 29, 2018
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno...the possibility is there, but this is one of those things where you'll likely never have a definitive answer. Just not enough to there to ID and no real context to make an educated guess.
Interesting just the same

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
can you post some images of the bottom area please? From multiple angles please. I dont see much, if any, use polish, but the bottom would have the most use polish.

What is with the second rock? What is its purpose in the photos?

When you say 'Cigar Box Find', does this mean a find in an antique shop or what exactly?

Second rock is just to keep specimen rock from rolling around! 'Cigar Box Find' means I purchased it as part of an old timer's collection... Here's some more pics.
bottom1.jpg
bottom2.jpg
bottom3.jpg
bottom4.jpg
bottom5.jpg
bottom6.jpg

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The end does look a little smoother and the chip could have come from use. I think it's a natural form that did see some use.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
if it is a pestle, its not seen much, if any use. I see no use polish on it.

Here is a pestle I found last year. It has very little use polish on it. But it does have the dimple already starting to form from use.

I doubt that the damage on the end could be caused by use, and no use wear evident.
From that I would believe it is not a pestle.

20180203_121546_closeup.jpg
arrow_2_dimple.jpg

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The business end doesnt look right for a pestle it does look pecked into shape though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread