Arizona and New York
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2, White's Coinmaster 5900/Di Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

This is my first post in this forum. :)

I was removing an old planter (circa 1950-60) at my house in Phoenix, AZ and as I was removing the layers of debris, I started finding all sorts of different rocks and coral. Then I found some pottery shards and pieces of what looks like a couple of metates. I would have thought that the metates were Mexican knock offs, but the presence of the pot shards and the fact that they were broken (I know that the natives use to break them when they moved camps) , led me to think otherwise. And, I know back in the day people use to think nothing of taking artifacts from sites to bring home and display. In this case, probably with these peoples rock collection.

So, I am reaching out to you all, the experts. Please see the image below.

Thanks!!

metate.jpg

Upvote 0

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks used to pick this stuff up all over in the PHX area. Yes, it probably is Native American.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find! I would send the photos to the Heard Museum Diana Pardue Chief Curator [email protected]

OP
OP
Dollybyers

Dollybyers

Jan 2, 2016
Arizona and New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will get some more detailed pics when I get a break today.

OP
OP
Dollybyers

Dollybyers

Jan 2, 2016
Arizona and New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE - SOLVED (sort of):

I have included a few more shots of the pottery and grinding tools.

Also, I wrote a local museum (Pueblo Grande Museum) to see what I should do with them and they said: "Those objects are all consistent with the archaeology of central Arizona, specifically the Hohokam archaeological culture." and.... "There’s no way to know exactly where these objects came from. If you’d like to bring them to the Museum we’d be happy to accept them and place them in our education collection."

So, they are local and authentic and I am happy they will be going to an appropriate cultural resource.

View attachment 1671638

View attachment 1671641

View attachment 1671642

View attachment 1671643

View attachment 1671644

View attachment 1671645

View attachment 1671646

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Outcome!!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread