Big skinner

pghDFXer

Dec 21, 2011
PGH
Detector(s) used
Dfx 300 w/5.3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg And pestle thing, iv found taking pictures using the different filters in iPhone brings out unseen details, works great... Lets hear it... Lol

Upvote 0

Jbenson

Dec 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flake is likely just that-a flake. Not enough evidence of utilization. Not a result of bipolar core reduction, but rather direct percussion. Any evidence of work is likely post deposit damage.

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm with benson on the "big skinner" . if any ancient person touched that at all, it appears they immediately discarded it after a direct percussion whack because of the quality of the material. the way it fractured because of the flaws\nature of the chert doesn't even show any real clear bulb of percussion. i've experienced this type of fracture before looking for knappable river cobbles. it looks like it might be a good nodule, but the first whack and it fragments that way. some of the material that you have posted in this and other threads i've seen of yours, is similar to stuff i find here in tenn.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
There is a lot of pressure flaking on the protruding portion.

I can see it as a crude cutting devise.

Jbenson

Dec 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pressure flaking is post deposit damage .

Jbenson

Dec 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Negative, however having a single side with post deposit damage is common. Found hundreds during my work at field schools and in research for my thesis.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Negative, however having a single side with post deposit damage is common. Found hundreds during my work at field schools and in research for my thesis.

Common sense says that would be a useful flake and as it “fits his hand “ so nicely it likely was. Why do the amateur archaeologists have the need to follow the rules set in place by a group that looks upon you with scorn and withholds information as common practice. Nice find Pgh, Does it have the paleo sheen?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
given its rough shape and all those hanging flakes, if it was used it wasn't used much or for long.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Edge flaking is unifacial and consistent with brief, ad hoc utilization. Nothing about it compels the assumption that it is merely "natural" damage. Might be, but might not be just as easily.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes

With all your experience I would think you’d look things over before making determinations. Only a portion of one side shows work.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a core but don’t think you can conclude 100% either way , what’s the last pic ? That looks better than the rest as a maybe

Jbenson

Dec 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the end of the day, only a hands on approach will give anyone a definitive answer. Pictures posted to the web are usually never good enough for all details of the lithic. It’s often a matter of opinion, however 30 years in the field has taught me what to look for.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Common sense says that would be a useful flake and as it “fits his hand “ so nicely it likely was. Why do the amateur archaeologists have the need to follow the rules set in place by a group that looks upon you with scorn and withholds information as common practice. Nice find Pgh, Does it have the paleo sheen?

A neat chunk.
Why follow rules? L.o.l..Why indeed. That does not dismiss logic though.

As far as fits the hand , what in the world are you considering skinning with a tool held like that?

I've skinned enough critters to want to whack that piece a few more times in the hopes of some dexterity/ergonomics in a shard if skinning..
Don't know what happened to my/the alleged users knapped blade(s) or where it went , but whatever.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A neat chunk.
Why follow rules? L.o.l..Why indeed. That does not dismiss logic though.

As far as fits the hand , what in the world are you considering skinning with a tool held like that?

I've skinned enough critters to want to whack that piece a few more times in the hopes of some dexterity/ergonomics in a shard if skinning..
Don't know what happened to my/the alleged users knapped blade(s) or where it went , but whatever.
I’ve never skinned a thing so I’ll take your word for it. Who knows on that particular piece, but in general far more things are artifacts than most will give credit for imo. The timeline is slowly being pushed back which will bring far more “rocks” into play.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions