America’s stonehenge

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father in law lives nearby and is helping with my sons pinewood derby car. On the way home I couldn’t resist stopping with my son for his fist visit, and thought I’d post some pics while I await the big reveal at 7 pst. This is the most famous of the “rock pile” sites in my area, and similar to the areas I that I tend to hunt for artifacts or geofacts acts as most of you all them.
B65B2557-086A-43AD-9557-18BF1F6BF2EA.jpg
EF87DCD9-98BB-4D47-B0BD-325C67C83369.jpg
8D0496FD-A31F-4EA0-ABBE-296E9FC7DA05.jpeg
79C19059-2F89-4BE0-BED6-8402B0B63B08.jpg
1423430D-60CD-43AC-8450-A6EFC28E2CDE.jpg
821A256A-BA68-4B55-A70B-2AA583D3CB99.jpeg
33F8F438-26EA-4917-95FF-2693C8DAF01A.jpg
AA65355E-911F-49DA-9894-6345E30255C1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the large boulders balanced so they can be rocked by one person. I would love to see some pics and I’m sure others would enjoy it if you do find the time to make a post.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not native construction lmao.Native Americans did not build with stone.

Hi Red,

Lyao all you want, but I think that the Mayans, Aztecs, and Incans would ltao at you. Native American cultures in North America used stones for construction as well, although obviously to a much lesser extent (e.g. cliff dwellings in the southwest, Medicine Wheel, et al.).

I wouldn’t rule out Native Americans in eastern North America using stone either, although obviously much less frequently due to the abundance of timber. I know of a stone circle on a knob in Berea College’s research forest. I was led there one time while doing some forestry research. The employee of the College who led me there told me that the circle hadn’t been investigated, but he thought that it was likely Native American in origin. As I recall, it was approximately 18’ in diameter and only a couple of feet tall with a gap in the stones approximately 4’ across. It was likely taller than a couple of feet but filled in due to organic matter accumulation over several centuries (purely speculating there). I won’t speculate as to whether it was an astronomical structure, improvised yurt, used for spiritual purposes, or used for something else entirely. However, I cannot imagine that it would have been built and used by settlers or people of European descent for livestock or other use. Split-rail fencing would have been much easier to construct and Europeans tend to build structures with right angles.

In Charles Mann’s fantastic book, 1491, he speaks to the impact that the introduction of European diseases (esp. influenza and smallpox) had upon Native American cultures. He writes of how the introduction of European diseases decimated and destroyed NA cultures, long before they even encountered Europeans because the diseases were transmitted so readily within and between their cultures. In some cases, the diseases had decimated their populations decades, or even centuries before contact with European people was made. I find it quite likely that some Native American structures were likely re-purposed by settlers due to their utility and proximity to a natural resource (e.g. fresh water, reliable food source, et al.) long after the decimated Native American societies had abandoned them, and the knowledge of how those structures were created, and by whom, and when, was lost.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres similar structure all over new england,though on a smaller scale.they are also astronomically aligned.

Astronomically aligned... if true, I would think that that would point to Native American in origin... sort of like the Mayan cities and villages.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever hear of gungywamp in groton conneticut.ill stick to the celts,irish monks etc.I read gungywamp translated from celt meant church of the people.NAs did not build churches.gungywamp is also astronomically aligned.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's lots of things that I've never heard of. Gungywamp would fall into that category. Did celts and Irish monks typically build their structures to align with the heavens? I don't know anything about their architecture. I do know that some Native American cultures did.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Same as stonehenge in england,astronomically aligned.Just because something over here is astronomically aligned doesnt mean NAs built it.Archs might have schooling,what they dont have is common sense.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same as stonehenge in england,astronomically aligned.Just because something over here is astronomically aligned doesnt mean NAs built it.Archs might have schooling,what they dont have is common sense.

Fair enough, and true, just because a structure is astronomically aligned does not mean that Native Americans built it. However, Stonehenge is a little different than most English structures and as far as I know, the ancestors of Stonehenge's builders aren't known to have done much construction in New England. I would still contend that astronomical alignment would favor Native American construction over European settlers. I don't know of many European settlers who placed their silos here and there across their fields so as to mimic Orion or Ursa Major when viewed from above. Other than individual buildings using passive solar for thermal benefits, can you give examples of astronomically aligned structures of the same extent that you described, that can be definitively attributed to colonizers?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Gee...One Can Almost See...The Freemason's....G Stone!

G Stone.jpg Z-97.jpg

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the interesting reading. Reinforces my thinking that the stone circle near Berea is Native American in origin. I guess that astronomical alignment wouldn't help lend evidence either way, as such alignments were common with Native Americans and Europeans.

You have not answered all of my questions, nor solved all of my problems, but I am confident that I am now confused at a higher level about more important things.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred the opinions are from people who don't know what they're talking about.Theyre stuck in the Columbus mode B.S.

The story I always heard was that the Natives always said the stone work was already here when they arrived. That coupled with the crude tools I find, makes me think the stuff is older than even celts, but who knows. My soultrean
theory works the other way.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
To get the info on astronomical alignment i'd have to go digging in my storage unit.Theres usually a stone missing from one of the walls in the beehive chambers.the missing stone is for the winter solstice sun(or summer i forget exactly which) to show.theres always a fist size or bigger piece of white quartz shaped like a diamond for the suns rays to hit opposite tbe missing wall stone.I remember reading how mystery hill,the dolmens in massachusetts,rhode island,probably gungywamp,etc, were all astronomically aligned with eachother.Why would woodland indians build in stone when they have wood?They wouldnt,it took too much time,time they didnt have.No grocery stores back then to run to.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The "Stonehenge" is England is mostly a modern recreation. They did use the old stone that were laying there, but there are photos from the 1950's (or earlier) of cranes setting stones up on top of other stones, as many were buried and they took some creative liberty of what they "thought" that it may have originally looked like.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

That looks like a geofact, not man-made.

It's a concretion, we have many here that look exactly like it. I have one in my back yard that looks very similar.

Some guy came through here years ago and bought a bunch of them cheap, and he took them off and sold them as "ancient carvings" to people who didn't know what they were.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions