Another from my Harrison County Frame - Adena

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I found this point way back in the late 70's, about 1979 in Missouri.

harrison_county_point.jpg

I think its a variant of an adena turkey tail point, but does not have the 'classic' look.

Made of patinated harrison county flint, it resembles a sandia point found out west

sandia.jpg

I welcome thoughts on this one.

Upvote 0

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, but keep in mind the shape of that base is not intentional. See how it has one smooth, continuous flake scar? There is no way for a knapper to do that intentionally and predictably. A knapper making that shape would use a series of smaller flakes. If you look at the pictures of the sandia points, you can see this. That shape is accidental. Most likely, it is just from a defect in the stone, probably going all the way back to when the stone was formed. It can also be from knapper error. If the knapper hits a platform that is too stout and/or hits too high on the platform, it can cause an edge blow out like that. A blow out like that often results in the biface being rejected, but if it looks like it was finished and used, then I would call it a "knife". Regardless, it's a cool artifact and the color and patina are beautiful, so as Shakespeare said, "what's in a name?"

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hafted quite a few points. Arrows, spears, and knives. Sometimes, as the sinew tightens up it will pull the point to the side slightly, making the blade off angle from the shaft/handle. You simply re-chip the blade while it is mounted so that it's straight with the shaft/handle. Later, when the point is no longer on the shaft/handle, it looks like it was made crooked. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread