Phenomenal flaking

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a tip section of a point I found in southeast Montana. I'm thinking it's part of an Andersen point, which are mainly found in NE Colorado, which would put it a bit out of range of where they are normally found. It's about 1 1/4" long and made from heavily patinated Knife River Flint. I've included a picture of an Andersen point from Lithiccastinglab.com. 20190128_082739.jpeg 20190128_082725.jpeg 20190128_082712.jpeg 20190128_082657.jpeg yumatriplelarge.jpeg

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Workmanship.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that is some very nice oblique parallel flaking on that one. Even broken its a beautiful piece to own. Thanks!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is some impressive flaking. I think Andersen points are part of the Angostura cluster, which is named for a site out your way.

There couldn’t have been too many makers that made points like that back then. Maybe part of the same family group (five or take a couple of generations.)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An amazing amount of care was put into those...wow.

Corrected the color on those images...is this closer to
the right color for the points?

20190128_082725.jpg

20190128_082739.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always thought that, that oblique parallel flaking was always kind of special. I found a similar piece just like the one you show in the first photo. It was also missing the tip and the base. I always guessed that it was an angrostra point due to the oblique parallel flaking. I am not positive on the lithic material, but it is quite similar to a white chert.

OP
OP
TundraPlugger

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some impressive flaking. I think Andersen points are part of the Angostura cluster, which is named for a site out your way.

There couldn’t have been too many makers that made points like that back then. Maybe part of the same family group (five or take a couple of generations.)
I think so too Joshua. I've found and seen Angostura points from that area and my own but they are never that thin but the flaking matches. The material is actually dark brown just like KRF which I think it is. The very tip is a recent break and the bottom break is old.

OP
OP
TundraPlugger

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TundraPlugger

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always thought that, that oblique parallel flaking was always kind of special. I found a similar piece just like the one you show in the first photo. It was also missing the tip and the base. I always guessed that it was an angrostra point due to the oblique parallel flaking. I am not positive on the lithic material, but it is quite similar to a white chert.
You should post a picture.....sounds pretty neat

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful Workmanship.

I agree!
High quality workmanship!
Partly due to the Material he makes his blade or point from - clear of inclusions=easily-controlled...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread