Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We dug this over the weekend, its posted on another thread, it appears the colonists tossed it on top of their trash pit. The site has produced a lot of native artifacts, this is only my second item from the site and it's very well known. It is about 72 mm in diameter and the beveling is quite pronounced.

It is made of quartz, and I'm not seeing peck marks on it. Thanks. IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1532.JPG IMG_1534.JPG

Upvote 0

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you sure its not been colonial used ? my grandmother and relatives were Appalachian poor. and made alot of funny looking stone tools themselves , such as pestles and some nice hand axes for chicken head removal. but yours could be a game ball.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. I did find a whetstone in the pit, perfectly rectangular but made of different material. Maybe a 17th century UFO effigy?:laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cool whatever it is.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Hammerstone and I believe they were used to peck the grooves in Axes. I have several just like that one that are pecked to that point all the way around the center and they fit right in a groove on my Axes. Just my thoughts and not conclusive.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim reaper, I hadn't thought of a hammerstone that could be put on a shaft. You may have nailed it. Since it was on top of the colonists trash, they must have found it, then discarded it. One man's trash is another's treasure.

Once upon a time ago I found my first grooved ax. It looked kind of funny to me however. I took it to our archaeology club and the club president had a cow over it. It apparently started out like as a full groove ax, it broke and was discarded. A thousand or more years later another native American found it and made a 3/4 groove ax out of it.

Now just a tad bit later in time, I still have it.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I don't know about hammerstone. We like them a little bigger.They get beat up pretty good and that rock is pretty smooth. The second photo show grinding wear on the right. Looks like they used it until it come apart in the center?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not broken. That is one tough piece of solid quartz. There is an iron stain on it from the nails and hoe that were in the hole.

Whetstone: IMG_1537.JPG

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of a hammer stone but most of them show a lot of peck marks from striking the stone. Let me throw this in there a chunky stone made like the one in this photo. chunky stone salt river hickman ky.2.5.jpg It just doesn't have the cup but the sides are about right.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred250, no but I'm going to have to now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread