Night Hunt

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out after work to do a bit of treasure hunting. By the time I got to the truck it was dark. As I was putting my equipment away, I noticed obsidian flakes reflecting light back at me. I knew I was parked near an old camp site.

It dawned on me that obsidian is really easy to see using a headlamp.
Either the light reflects or the black stands out against the white light.

So I spent 30 minutes looking and spotted a small flake. Too small to be an arrow head but I bent down and picked it up anyway. Surprisingly it was a crude bird point.

372F7C6B-1AE9-48DA-ABB9-CB93A9D5BDEF.jpeg
(On a dime)

Not nearly as intricate as the last one I found in this same location last year.

7B46029B-EDAF-4B90-B69A-F7A09F72D59B.jpeg
(Check out those fine serrations!)

The top one looks like a kid made it. The bottom one looks like a master knapper made it.
How did they make such small and even serrations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At night, worked flint will shine on a gravel bar, plus the light makes you really focus on what you’re looking at.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure does make you focus more than in the daylight.If it is pitch black and there are no reference point like a light somewhere you can have your head down and almost get lost if you don't pay attention. Tried it some, here are some pieces found one night.Lotsof fun.

Attachments

• DSN 3X.JPG
    DSN 3X.JPG
    792.2 KB · Views: 54

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure does make you focus more than in the daylight.If it is pitch black and there are no reference point like a light somewhere you can have your head down and almost get lost if you don't pay attention. Tried it some, here are some pieces found one night.Lotsof fun.

Man that center point is unreal..... can I request some more pics of that one ? Maybe a new thread, that point is killer

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that center point is unreal..... can I request some more pics of that one ? Maybe a new thread, that point is killer

Thanks Arrow, it is one of favs and is one of the best DSN Sierras I have. I'll see if I have more pics and put them on a separate thread. I've shown this a couple times here before sometime in the past.Real night finds though.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's to you on some nice points. They were true craftsmen in order to make these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread