rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this well polished Game Stone not even a week ago. Its my 1st polished game piece I have ever found. Im dating it by some pottery I found seeing all of the points have been Archaic so far Id say its Late Woodland. Ive done some research on it and havent really came up as a use for it. I get a image of the NA holding a handmade deer skin bag with different colors of game stones in it and each one is a different meaning as one is pulled out of the bag. Maybe for the rights of a hunt as to who goes 1st or something like that. Its a very interesting piece to say the least. Hope you enjoy, rock.
Personal surface find on private property with permission, North Georgia.

Attachments

• SDC13541.JPG
    SDC13541.JPG
    659.2 KB · Views: 136
  • SDC13553.JPG
    SDC13553.JPG
    691.5 KB · Views: 125
  • SDC13564.JPG
    SDC13564.JPG
    666.5 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I didnt expect that type of response and wasnt looking for it either. I believe it is an artifact just like I posted in the start.

Rock, you have been her long enough to know that questionable pieces are questioned by many and easily accepted by a others. Did you want honest opinions, or just pats on th back?

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Can't post them at this time but I have a handful of game pieces that are made from broken pottery. They rounded the edges of a quarter size piece of pottery. Simular to quito's piece that he found.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not one person is doubting the Stone is polished.

Okay well let me clarify i agree theres a possibility it was polished by man and whether or not it was found in a creek or not doesnt rule out the possibility of being polished by man. it just reduces the probability. The reason I think it could be polished by hand is there are areas on the surface that show less polish then other areas a mix of grey and black which is indicative of polished stones that i have found that are undoubtably artifacts.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Sounds nice Jamus.

imho the Weather, the creek, sand, gravel and time have more to do with the finish we see now than anything.

Perhaps someone knows how long ago the thing fell in the creek and we’d have another clue. I’ve heard that claim before.

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is not enough evidence on that rock to prove, or disprove for that matter,, that it was altered or used by ancient man nor modern man.

You can call it whatever you want, it’s your rock, Rock.

Last edited:

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds nice Jamus.

imho the Weather, the creek, sand, gravel and time have more to do with the finish we see now than anything.

Perhaps someone knows how long ago the thing fell in the creek and we’d have another clue. I’ve heard that claim before.

Well im not trying to sound nice just giving an opinion and I fully agree from the pics other then the polish it does not look modified. If i found it in my creek id notice it has an abnormal amount of polish and would be interested. The elements you speak of also alter polish on artifacts and that is the look i have seen on creek worn polished artifacts. Now maybe when you walk your creek it fits in and you wouldnt even bend over to pick it up. Neither one of us has been to Rocks creek. Rock has and he has supplied some information. With the information Rock has given and my personal experience i can definitely see that it could be a shaman stone or something of that nature.

From looking at the pics Reuellis answer fits best. Im sure however it doesnt fit best with Rock the one that has the most information and has it in hand.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Well since you agree most with ruellis, you would have to agree that Daniel Boone or Paul Revere could possibly have had possession at one time. Ya can’t prove they didn’t. It may be an effigy pre-form too!

there are arguments and there are weak arguments.

Fact is, questionable artifacts usually get more posts that good ones, and I am done with this one.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since you agree most with ruellis, you would have to agree that Daniel Boone or Paul Revere could possibly have had possession at one time. Ya can’t prove they didn’t. It may be an effigy pre-form too!

there are arguments and there are weak arguments.

Fact is, questionable artifacts usually get more posts that good ones, and I am done with this one.

I can understand what your saying.If you want to give me a little more info about your game piece i sent you a message.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The game piece is made of Minnesota Pipestone and was something I acquired years ago in North Dakota.

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the land of the Hohokam are a great many sites. I’ve found a number of polished stones that I compare to smooth creek stones and there seems to be an apparent difference between them. I went to a demonstration of native pottery makers at the U of A and saw one man polishing his bowl with one. I went home and got a stone I had found and showed it to him. This really lit him up and he asked where I found it and did I make pottery? I told him I wasn’t sure what it was until I saw him using it. He told me his stone was passed down through several generations of his family and how much it meant to him. Then he had me come over to his table and let me work on his bowl with my stone. I’ve also found a few polishedfinger-shaped rocks. Not sure what they were used for but some have flattened areas on one side of the tip. One is black and looks like a raven. Hohokam sites also sometimes have unworked stones that naturally look like various things. I’ve found two phallic stones, a few foot shaped stones (maybe for making sandals?) a tongue, and one that looks like a roadrunner. It is fairly common to find quartz crystals at the site as well. I asked an archaeologist about them and she said the thought amongst her peers was that they were placed at sites to keep out bad spirits. Quien sabes?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread